The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2007, 07:05 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Make Your Own Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeMcFly View Post
. . . I even used a blood knot to tie the tippet on my existing leader! I like the knot alot cause its straighter than the surgeons. . .
Keep in mind that while it's true the Blood Knot lies straighter than a Double or Triple Surgeon's Knot, it's not as strong . . . something to think about when you're dealing with light tippit.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:25 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

While Joni uses mono for nymphing, I use the furled (Uni thread 6/0) for everything except stillwater. She furls nymphing leaders out of uni and kevlar that sinks pretty good. Uni furled with mucillin or any floatant with 3'-6' of whatever tippet you need. Kathy Scott's DVD shows you how easy it is to build a board and furl a leader. (And making the Shorb loop)
So you buy some Uni 6/0 (250 yards), couple bucks there. Olives, blues, white, black, whatever color you want. Build your board for under $20 (that's a fancy board).
A couple bucks for a "knit picker at JoAnns.
A furled leader will last, and last and last. If you get a windknot in one (very hard to do) it won't affect the leader at all. It will last all season.
In essense, you can build 5-7 leaders with one 250 yard spool.
Put in some florescent colors on the butt and you have a strike indicator.
The kevlar is used for nymphing or sinking leaders.
It's furled so it won't spray water when you lift it off the water.
THIS IS NOT LIKE A BRAIDED LEADER. TWO DIFFERENT ANIMALS
You can attach a strike indicator on a furled leader. As split shot (goes on the tippet)
There is no memory- you can cast a furled leader with your hand and have it perfectly lay out. It's usually 5' or so long. Perfectly dragless casts.
Don't spend $13 for a B*ue Sky mono leader either, not when you can build them for pennies.
And it's actually it's quite relaxing to build one.
Furled Leaders - Login. For more info.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:49 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

A triple surgeon's knot will lay as straight as a blood knot...I use it to tie all my large leaders, and a blood for the smaller trout leaders, reason being there is not as much bulk with the blood..I also make and sell furled leaders out of mono..
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 11-20-2007, 10:48 AM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

Now I really love the blood knot! had a snag the other day with my old store bought leader repaired with some new tippet attached with the blood knot using the tool I got last week. when I snagged and pulled to break the line I am glad to to say the knots stayed strong! just the hook bent straight!

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.