The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2007, 07:05 PM

Silver Doc is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How long are you out there ?

Ah! the days I could only fish full days on weekends and evenings during the week. I was a slave to my patients and my beeper. I wound up drowning 6 beepers and 6 cell phones. Now since I retired there are no restrictions. I fish when I want and have a "honey do list". Before open heart last year I would come home when it was dark now I just come home late in the afternoon. Been waiting a lifetime for this. It's the greatest stress reliever in the world. Your days will come. Frank
Old 11-05-2007, 11:34 AM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

" If the fishing is good, I stay till I don't catch anymore fish.
If the fishing is slow, I stay till I figure it out and catch fish "

Same with me . I get off work @ 3:30 & sometimes I'll drive an hour to go to the stream , fish for a few hours & then come home. If I ever get a full day I'm out there sunup till sundown. ( I tend to lose stuff that falls out of my vest pockets after dark). I've gotten off work & drove an hour or so just to fish an hour & then turned around & came home at dusk...... (mostly when I think there might be something hatching) How about you guys .. How far will you drive for a little time on a stream????
Old 11-05-2007, 08:33 PM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about

I generallly play it by ear. I usually will fish until late morning and then come home and spend time with my daughter and wife. I enjoy my play time on the river but I like to balance it out with the family. If I fish in the evening it's usually right after dinner until dark. Once the bats start flying it's time to get out. I fish the Savage River in western Maryland and I'm 53. It's hard to stay out all day because it is a tough river to wade. Currents, lots of boulders and very, very slippery. Once I start to feel wobbly in the legs, it's time to get out or at least take a good break.
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)
Old 11-05-2007, 11:27 PM

FlySlinger has a spectacular aura aboutFlySlinger has a spectacular aura about

Hi Fellows, My User Name is FlySlinger, I am a Mountaineer and I am a FlyTyer and a FlyFisher, I am a Fanatic on Both Counts,,,,Every Once in a while I will Post some Fly's. I think you will like them....I am a Trout Fisherman and a SmallMouth Man.....

Talk to You Later

FlySlinger
Old 11-06-2007, 09:26 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

When I fish for trout I have to travel quite a bit, so I stay out there for four or five hours.

When I fish saltwater and have to cast a heavier rod, I usually fish no more than three hours.

I guess if I could fish every day I wouldn't mind just fishing for a couple of hours.

Randy Kadish
Old 11-06-2007, 08:04 PM

FlySlinger has a spectacular aura aboutFlySlinger has a spectacular aura about

Hi Fellows I was wondering how I Get my signature to show when I make a post....Oh I guess I did it right....LOL..

Talk to You later

FlySlinger
Old 11-06-2007, 08:06 PM

slatedrake is on a distinguished road

When I was single staying out all day was the norm. Now getting out for just a morning or evening makes me feel lucky. Although now that my kids are getting older the fish'n time will get longer.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:44 PM

docf225 is on a distinguished road

Usually, I let the fish tell me how long to stay. Sometimes I have to let my Bride tell me how long to stay
Old 11-07-2007, 05:25 AM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

I am lucky enough to live less than a mile from the beach so i go often usually an hour or so before work and sometime after work,weekends are an all day outing weather permitting i pretty mich live to fish.