The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2010, 12:05 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Light weight Rain Shell

Gore-Tex, Pac-Lite for me. Pricey unless you find it on sale as I did. Got mine for $59 and the wife's at $39 at Sportsmen's. I haven't been wet since I found this jacket.

Kelly.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:49 PM

seajay will become famous soon enoughseajay will become famous soon enough

The Frogg Toggs are breathable. Mine are as comfortable as can be. This is here in the high humidity of Fla. I also have a pull over that my brother in-law gave me that the guys on the PGA wear. He is a caddy on the tour. He said they sell for around 200.00 in the pro shops.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:01 PM

Stan Wright is just really niceStan Wright is just really niceStan Wright is just really niceStan Wright is just really nice

I understand that FrogToggs have improved since I got mine 5 years ago... I sure hope so. (it was a cold wet week in Alaska)

I'm now in the "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR" school of thought.
I have the Sims Pac-Lite rain gear now.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:03 PM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough

I would really like to find a Pac Lite pullover and am keeping my eys open for one. Does not need to be made for fishing. Pullovers are usually short aso. I looked at the Frog Toggs and I just do not like a baggyness of them. Search continues.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:36 PM

gusto is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker12 View Post
Last Staurday I fished in a steday rain while wet raining. It was pretty warm and now that uncomfortable at first. But after about 4 hour I got a little chill. Realized it would have been nice to have kept the top half dry. Considering the temps the top would need to be light. I am thinking a nice pull over rainproof piece would be nice. Wouldn't really need pockets. Wondering what my options are. Thinking some non fishing gear like hiking /boating may be the ticket.
By "light" are you talking about the weight of the shell or insulating abilities? Patagonia used to make a pullover shell called the Specter that you could find in their outlet shops. They don't make it anymore, but it weighed in at just under 7 ounces and folded up small enough to fit in a pocket. I picked up two a couple of years ago for around $65.

The last time I checked, there were a couple left in the Santa Cruz Patagonia Outlet in Santa Cruz, CA. Another Patagonia Outlet located in Montana does phone orders and will ship, too. (I'm not sure if the Patagonia Outlet in Santa Cruz will ship).

Find Patagonia - Patagonia Retail Stores, Dealers and Environmental Grants

That link also has some websites that might carry some leftovers of that model.

After looking at some of the wading jackets recently, and just fishing apparel in general, it seems like a lot of things are much bulkier and heavier weighted than needed. (Not exactly designed for backpacking use). But then again, am I going to going to start swinging a bunch of razor sharp hooks around my $350 Patagonia softshell? Probably not.

I'm located in Southern California, so all my rain shells are usually for emergency use only, so I like them ultralight and packable, and that's what the Specter delivered.

Review Here:
SummitPostGear - Specter Pullover -- Gear Reviews

Gusto
Old 07-20-2010, 08:49 PM

thonyb will become famous soon enough

if you can find a jacket made out of the same material as the arc'teryx jacket or the patagonia sst that would keep you dry . I would also find a jacket with pit zips. this way if you start to over heat then you you can vent I got some light weight jackets that are the breathable kind. The fabric has little squares. I not a fan it usually soaks through (i live in oregon). grundens and redline makes awesome jackets as well. Ive spent 16 hours a day in the factory in ak over by the freezers and stayed warm and dry. They are not that pricey...... well compared to arcteryx its dirt cheap.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:28 PM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough

That Pat Specter is what I am lookng for. Something to keep the chill off some days ar keep meep my top dry id 80 degree wheater. Thanks for the lead.