The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Light weight Rain Shell (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/26809-light-weight-rain-shell.html)

Tracker12 07-13-2010 01:46 PM

Light weight Rain Shell

Last Staurday I fished in a steday rain while wet raining. It was pretty warm and now that uncomfortable at first. But after about 4 hour I got a little chill. Realized it would have been nice to have kept the top half dry. Considering the temps the top would need to be light. I am thinking a nice pull over rainproof piece would be nice. Wouldn't really need pockets. Wondering what my options are. Thinking some non fishing gear like hiking /boating may be the ticket.

stevewes2004 07-13-2010 02:39 PM

Re: Light weight Rain Shell

Frogg Toggs are the bomb!! Very light and packable. I fished in a situation exactly like yours for hours, and i was dry except for my left arm from high sticking and water running down my sleeve. oh and they're cheap too.

FrankB2 07-13-2010 02:44 PM

My wife and I use these: CLICK HERE They are the most comfortable jacket I've ever owned, and the Gore-Tex works wonders. They're backed by Bean's lifetime guarantee as well. ;) I have used mine in pouring rain, and not a drop of moisture gets through. They're fine in hot and cold weather, and the sizes run true. The problem you might encounter with non-fishing jackets is length: they could tend to be just long enough that the bottom will be in the water.

seajay 07-13-2010 02:44 PM

Frogg Toggs. Great stuff.
froggtoggs.com
Go to there home page and look at there Wading gear.

fishtacos 07-13-2010 03:29 PM

Which frog trogs do y'all have? Are they waterproof? I'm sick of the rain jacket looking jackets that really don't keep the water out. I've had the best luck (as far as material) with a poncho but the design is obviously lacking.

flores81 07-13-2010 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishtacos (Post 109634)
Which frog trogs do y'all have? Are they waterproof? I'm sick of the rain jacket looking jackets that really don't keep the water out. I've had the best luck (as far as material) with a poncho but the design is obviously lacking.

was wondering about the same question

stevewes2004 07-14-2010 05:45 AM

mine is a discontinued model but similar to this:

Frogg Toggs Pro Action Rainsuit for Men

BP had them on sale for 29.95 when I bought mine several months ago.

seajay 07-14-2010 09:49 AM

Ditto on the PRO

stevewes2004 07-14-2010 09:59 AM

and yes, they're as waterproof as waterproof gets.

Frank Whiton 07-14-2010 11:43 AM

Hi Tracker12,

You need to be careful about getting a rain coat of any make that does not breath well. Under a totally waterproof rain jacket that doesn't breath for four hours would be awful. You will sweet and be hot, hot, hot. Being light weight won't make any difference. The key is breathability not light weight.

Frank