The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2010, 01:46 PM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough
Default Light weight Rain Shell

Last Staurday I fished in a steday rain while wet raining. It was pretty warm and now that uncomfortable at first. But after about 4 hour I got a little chill. Realized it would have been nice to have kept the top half dry. Considering the temps the top would need to be light. I am thinking a nice pull over rainproof piece would be nice. Wouldn't really need pockets. Wondering what my options are. Thinking some non fishing gear like hiking /boating may be the ticket.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:39 PM

stevewes2004 will become famous soon enoughstevewes2004 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Light weight Rain Shell

Frogg Toggs are the bomb!! Very light and packable. I fished in a situation exactly like yours for hours, and i was dry except for my left arm from high sticking and water running down my sleeve. oh and they're cheap too.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:44 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

My wife and I use these: CLICK HERE They are the most comfortable jacket I've ever owned, and the Gore-Tex works wonders. They're backed by Bean's lifetime guarantee as well. I have used mine in pouring rain, and not a drop of moisture gets through. They're fine in hot and cold weather, and the sizes run true. The problem you might encounter with non-fishing jackets is length: they could tend to be just long enough that the bottom will be in the water.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:44 PM

seajay will become famous soon enoughseajay will become famous soon enough

Frogg Toggs. Great stuff.
froggtoggs.com
Go to there home page and look at there Wading gear.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:29 PM

fishtacos will become famous soon enoughfishtacos will become famous soon enough

Which frog trogs do y'all have? Are they waterproof? I'm sick of the rain jacket looking jackets that really don't keep the water out. I've had the best luck (as far as material) with a poncho but the design is obviously lacking.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:36 PM

flores81 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtacos View Post
Which frog trogs do y'all have? Are they waterproof? I'm sick of the rain jacket looking jackets that really don't keep the water out. I've had the best luck (as far as material) with a poncho but the design is obviously lacking.
was wondering about the same question
Old 07-14-2010, 05:45 AM

stevewes2004 will become famous soon enoughstevewes2004 will become famous soon enough

mine is a discontinued model but similar to this:

Frogg Toggs Pro Action Rainsuit for Men

BP had them on sale for 29.95 when I bought mine several months ago.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:49 AM

seajay will become famous soon enoughseajay will become famous soon enough

Ditto on the PRO
Old 07-14-2010, 09:59 AM

and yes, they're as waterproof as waterproof gets.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Tracker12,

You need to be careful about getting a rain coat of any make that does not breath well. Under a totally waterproof rain jacket that doesn't breath for four hours would be awful. You will sweet and be hot, hot, hot. Being light weight won't make any difference. The key is breathability not light weight.

Frank