The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2007, 12:09 PM

odie91 is on a distinguished road
Default Is this a good beginner outfit?

Hello. I tried fly fishing a few years ago, with a cheap $50 combo set, then got too busy to keep up with it.
Now moving to an area with better fishing opportunities (Rochester, NY), looking to purchase another beginner outfit.

I found a Redington Crosswater 2 rod and reel combo, comes loaded with line, backing, and leader. On sale brand new for $120.

The Redington website shows MSRP of $55 for the reel, and $80 for the rod. So I'm basically saving about $15 compared to MSRP, and getting free line, backing and leader (I assume the line is not exactly high end though).

Is this a good deal (pricewise) and good set (performance-wise) to get started on? If anyone has a better suggestion, please feel free to comment.

I assume I'll be fishing small rivers and large streams for trout (that seems to be what's available in the Rochestser NY area). A 6wt setup should do?
Old 11-03-2007, 03:15 PM

OregonStreams is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Is this a good beginner outfit?

odie... I don't see how you can go wrong at that price, but I have not fished a Redington rod. I suspect that you can catch plenty of fish and have plenty of fun with this kit. Many of us WANT to have fancy gear, but we know that we don't need fancy gear to fly fish. Learning the local waters, casting, presentation, fly selection, etc is what makes us better fishers.

I would also look at a TFO, Echo or ? Sage Launch that you will enjoy for many years if you decide to stay with the sport. I see a number or beginner kits with TFO rods and various reels. You can then upgrade to a better reel later.

A 6wt will do for most freshwater trout including the 20+ inch variety. A 4wt may be better for small streams. A 5wt may be a good compromise.

In the olden days, most of us started with 2 piece rods, but the cost of technology has come down to the point where a good 4 piece rod is affordable. These rods may not have all the bells and whistles, but they catch fish as well as the fancy sticks.

Have fun!
Old 11-03-2007, 03:51 PM

troutbum is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the site Odie91!
The set-up your looking at is exactly what I recomend.Redington put's out a nice quality rod in every price range.I think a six WT. is also a good choice.i wouldnt worry too much about the line,although there are better lines around,I am quite sure Redington would not use the absolute cheapest garbage line they could.
If it floats well(I am assuming is a floating line),and seems to shoot nicely,you will get the season out of it,then you may be at the point when you may want to upgrade to a better line.As far as the leader that comes with the outfit,I wouldnt trust it,you never know how old it is,I would spend a few bucks and buy a 9' 5x tapered leader and a spool of 5x and 6x tippet.
All in all,this should be a great little set-up for you.
Tight Lines
Aaron
Old 11-03-2007, 06:12 PM
Curtis will become famous soon enoughCurtis will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Curtis

The Redington set up is great.

But here is my .02 on the matter. In asking us if this is a good package, I would say this;

Go cast it. If it feels good in your hand, you can get the line out there comfortably, and all seems good to you, by all means grab it. The real issue here is you enjoying the day on the water. This can certainly be done with a $20 rod. Of course some people feel better on the water with rods that are in the several hundreds and sometimes thousands. I for one love the lower end gear and would just say it is most important that you are satisfied. THe fish certainly won't care and anyone on the water that does should get their head removed from their rear end.

Enjoy!
Old 11-03-2007, 07:29 PM

Fishplease is on a distinguished road

I own a redington crosswater 8'6 5wt, and its great! The reel I can't speak for, but its plastic so consider replacing it in the future. Or get the rod from cabelas for 60, a Hobbs creek from bass pro for 40, and Any fly line you want.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:01 PM

cliftz is on a distinguished road

I was up in Rochester last year...48 inches of snow in Oswego...and I was
sick from food poisoning from a greasy spoon joint off the highway up there.
Kinda spoiled my fishing trip...

I started with a kit from K-Mart...I spent a lot of time working on the cast...
and the rod rewarded me well by putting the line out there. As the esteemed
Joan Wulff noted, at first you're just happy to get the line in front of you and
not in a pile on the water, then you start going for distance, and then it all
comes together and you enjoy ...

The thing is, get your set up and put it together and practise...the more you
handle it the more famailiar it'll become.

Let us know how you're coming along, we'd love to hear about it.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:13 PM

odie91 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the input guys.
Well, I looked into it more, and according to the fly shop, the streams are also stocked with Salmon and Steelhead (in addition to the trout). Do those species usually require a 7w or 8w setup? I had originally planned on a 6w, but I guess I can't have the best of both worlds.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:48 PM

OregonStreams is on a distinguished road

Odie... Trying to cover small trout to Salmon with one rod is going to be tough! Whatever you choose will be a compromise. Large trout can be handled with a 6wt. Steelhead seem evenly matched to a 7 weight and Silver Salmon seem well matched against an 8wt. I wonder if that 6wt _would_ work for you, good for trout and an occasional Steelhead. Then get out the level wind reel, eggs and plugs for the Salmon Keep the Salmon, steak them and throw em on the barbecue.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:33 PM
ReelFlyRod is on a distinguished road

Hi Odie, the Crosswater 2 is a very nice starter outfit, much higher quality than than anything I have found. It will hold up to lots of abuse and is a surprising nice, medium action casting rod. Very attractive since the redesign. My recommendation is go with the 8wt to cover the steelhead to salmon spectrum (unless you plan to do the majority of your fishing for trout). I own ReelFlyRod.com, a fly shop in Ohio, and we sell these oufits for $99.00. The 8-weight also comes in a 4 piece travel outfit for $129.00. Tight Lines, Todd
Old 11-12-2007, 07:59 PM

Surfin the Susquehanna is on a distinguished road

I have a 6wt that I use for smallmouths in the River near me. I also just purchased a 4wt. for the small streams. In my experience, the heavier the fly you want to toss is the most important factor of rod selection. I actually cant wait to fish the river with my 4wt. and get one of those nice smallies on that. It seems to me that it's more fun catching them on lighter gear. Makes you work a little harder to land them. Just a personal preference. I probably would struggle to throw the heavy weighted buggers and clousers with it, but I can certainly throw a smaller bugger. I never fished for salmon, so I don't know what the requirements are or what kind of flies you would be using. I'm sure someone else on here would be able to help you out. I'm sure you'll have a blast with whatever you choose. Trust me, once you start, you'll definately end up owning more than one rod. I am actually going to be in the market for a 2wt soon myself for fishing the small streams...
I'm addicted!!!