The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2012, 10:14 PM

strewin is on a distinguished road
Smile Advice needed - Aussie visiting U.S.A

G'day,
I am attending a conference in Las Vegas in a weeks time and will have 4 days free before I head out from Dallas to Moscow for some work. Would love to hear from anyone that may have some advice on where I could spend these 4 days.
Ideally I would like to not spend too much time traveling but am happy to spend a few hours in a plane / car to get to a choice destination (e.g. anywhere West or Mid USA).
I will also not have any gear with me (except for my vest) as it is all down in in Tasmania at the Great Lakes where I do most of my fishing so I will need to find somewhere to rent or a guiding dervice that has an all inclusive option.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Shane
Old 04-21-2012, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice needed - Aussie visiting U.S.A

I'd head North to the Reno area and fish The Truckee River with Jim (Bigfly) he'd surely outfit you with needed gear and turn you onto some nice fish.

Hop a plane from Vegas to Reno and be there in an hour or so.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 04-21-2012, 10:47 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by strewin View Post
G'day,
Ideally I would like to not spend too much time traveling
Shane
Surely there has to be something closer than that Fysh. Shane, when you get to Vegas call Las Vegas Fly Fishing at (702) 838-6669.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:24 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by strewin View Post
G'day,
Ideally I would like to not spend too much time traveling but am happy to spend a few hours in a plane / car to get to a choice destination (e.g. anywhere West or Mid USA).

Well I thought a short ONE hour flight fit into the parameters he mentioned Dan.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 04-22-2012, 08:37 AM

More than happy to spend some time in a plane if it means I can get on a river (with the gear) and catch some nice fish. Sounds like Truckee River is definitely an option.

Shane
Old 04-22-2012, 08:49 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I would have to go with the flight to Reno because unless they hid a creek somewhere around Vegas since 1981 it didn't exactly look like a good place for trout fishing to me. I am sending you a web link to the fellow fysh is talking about.

Good luck,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-22-2012, 09:03 AM

db cooper has a spectacular aura aboutdb cooper has a spectacular aura about

Anywhere but Detroit
Old 04-22-2012, 09:49 AM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

Head to the Truckee, Strewin. Vegas is a parched wasteland. You have a lot of options withing a two hour flight. More than you would want to consider actually. That would put Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming, Colorado,, etc all in reach with uncountable fishing options.

So, unless you have a spot you are dying to try out, find a good close location. The Truckee is one such place. There is a pic of a monster brown that was caught in the Truckee at some point within the last year.....

here it is....

Click the image to open in full size.

I am pretty sure it was the Truckee. Regardless, there are some great fish in that river. If i was in your shoes that is where i would go.

Good luck and let us know how you do.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:20 AM

Thanks everyone for the great information and suggestions. Looks like I need to book myself a flight to Reno.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:41 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Good Plan A. Cost of the flight will be 'cheap as chips.'