The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2012, 09:12 AM

pikeyaker is on a distinguished road
Default Fly Rod Leash for Kayak Fishing

Well after searching for the right materials to make a fly rod leash that won't impede casting , I think I might have a winner. Unfortunately my fishing season isn't open yet but I plan on trying it out anyway on some water. Let me know if you think this will work.

Click the image to open in full size.

www.pikeyaker.wordpress.com
Old 04-24-2012, 09:39 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Fly Rod Leash for Kayak Fishing

I haven't done any fly fishing out of a kayak yet (will be starting in about a month), so what is the purpose of a fly rod leash? Is it in the case of a dropped rod or something similar?

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 04-24-2012, 11:49 AM

Pretty much.. I plan on standing in my kayak to fish.. So more than likely i will take a least one nosedive into the water (which will of course be caught on film) and want to make sure I am not donating an expensive rod and reel to underwater structure. Basically you want leashes on all your equipment in case you capsize etc. But all the leashes I saw were big, bulky and most were coiled, which creates a great tangle point for line. So I shopped around, found what I wanted to try and made 2 of these up.

Old 04-24-2012, 04:47 PM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice

Looks great. I think it will be just the ticket.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:04 PM

Got a chance to test out my leash on Sunday when I tried out my new rod and kayak stabilizers.. everything worked awesome. The rod leash was perfect. I attached it on my back and that kept the line out of my casting area.

SCORE...

Now I am going to design a line platform to attach above my fishfinder to keep my fly line from hanging up on things.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:55 PM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough

I just got back from a 3 day trip to the marshes of Louisiana. As a club, we had ideas of how to keep our rods with us. One of those was to use a pool noodle(bright color) and cut off small donut sized chunks and zip tie them to the front of the grip. I did not like that option after the first day so I took it off. My next option was to use an old handgun leash I hadn't used in forever. I had relegated it to be a leash for my paddle but I decided I didn't like that either since my paddle floats and I'm not doing whitewater. My use for it became a flyrod leash where it leashes to the tail end of most 7wts on(the fighting butt). There that leash never seems to get in the way even when landing fish since it is retractable. The other end of the leash goes to your belt on you and it also has a quick detach clip.
In the future I may acquire another leash for my paddle especially for those windy and wavy days. My Native Ultimate canoe has a paddle clip that the paddle is attached to when not in use but that is not 100% retention.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:03 PM

Having a leash o your paddle is nice as you can toss your paddle in the water to fight a fish and not loose it. I managed to make my fly rod leash for about $3. I am gonna make a few more up to have extras. Scotty makes a great paddle leash with 2 different connectors for the paddles. A strap or a ring. I love mine.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:03 AM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

good idea. to keep the gear secure.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:43 AM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

Any "beach" play-toy store where they sell boggie-boards also sells spare and replacement leashes for the same. I've seen them in 2 or 3 packs for less than $5. They have the long cord and the velcro attachment, just like the one shown, and a loop that you can attach with a girth-hitch. just like a leader loop. I've probably got a pack or two stuffed away somewhere, from when my sons were younger.... I'll have to dig around.....

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky