The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2007, 10:55 AM

Midgeaholic is on a distinguished road
Default Any one else a Midgeaholic

My fishing is mainly on the San Juan river in New Mexico. I build my own rods, tie my own flies and leaders. My experience on the SJ is of 32 years. The San Juan is one of the top tailwater fisheries in the U.S.. I fish with midges( the entire life cycle ) almost exclusively and have amassed a great deal of knowledge about midge fishing in western tailwaters. I am interestd in finding out about others that are midge nuts ? Midgeaholic.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Any one else a Midgeaholic

I don't use them as often as i should, but I'm amazed at their effectiveness every time. I know that one of these is a HUGE help in getting them attached Ty-Rite Tools: Fishing Tools at L.L.Bean

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:29 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Midgeaholic,

I never used Midge flies until I fished the San Juan about 13 years ago. Once I was turned onto the effectiveness of mides I started fishing them every where especially tail waters. I like them a alot and pretty well fsh them all the time these days.

Frank
Old 11-07-2007, 05:29 PM

Fishplease is on a distinguished road

Only time I use midges is to teach little sunnies that peck at my terrestrials a lesson. That or when I'm chasing creek chubs.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:04 PM

Roughrider will become famous soon enoughRoughrider will become famous soon enough

Midgeaholic, you know I am! Been using them almost exclusively in Idaho lately and will all winter long. The San Juan was a great training place for me for midge fishing. Come on up some time and show these Idaho fish what a real midge fisherman is.
Paul
Old 11-08-2007, 12:46 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Given the current topic of discussion, if you had to pick a favorite/most trusted midge, what would it be?

I tend to fish a zebra midge most often, but I'll drift others occasionally too. What do y'all think is the best one to get a midge noob/skeptic to become a midgeaholic?

I think most tyers are apprehensive when it comes to tying midges, but when they find out how simple the most effective ones are to tie, they may change their mind. Throw any suggestions out there along those lines too!

Old 11-08-2007, 07:34 AM

Roughrider will become famous soon enoughRoughrider will become famous soon enough

I have to agree with you Cliff, once you can get past how small the hooks are, it is actually very easy, unless you are blind out of one eye and can't see out of the other. My most effective midge would be the zebra, a creme larvae, and a kf emerger. These 3 flies imitate all three stages of the midge. Once you get comfortable tying these little gems, it is nothing to tie 2-3 dozen, even more if you are really cranking, in an hour. Midges will inherit the earth someday.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:02 AM

Midgeaholic is on a distinguished road

Hello gentleman, thanks for your replies. The kf and the zebra are in my mind the most effective tailwater midge patterns. I have come up with some outstanding variations using UTC threads and ultra wire xsm or ultra hair for ribbing. I used these on some of the Catskill streams that come out of dams with phenominal results, especially on some of the out of the way streams for small brookies. I had a blast. midgeaholic.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:45 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midgeaholic View Post
Hello gentleman, thanks for your replies. The kf and the zebra are in my mind the most effective tailwater midge patterns. I have come up with some outstanding variations using UTC threads and ultra wire xsm or ultra hair for ribbing. I used these on some of the Catskill streams that come out of dams with phenominal results, especially on some of the out of the way streams for small brookies. I had a blast. midgeaholic.
So post up some pictures already. I and another member here that should remain anonymous fish those nasty 28-32's during the winter months. Furled leaders and 4' of 8X.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator

zebra midge- Click the image to open in full size.

KF- KF Midge Emerger