The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2012, 10:28 AM

jasalvas will become famous soon enough
Default Hardy 8'6" Hardy LRH Classic Graphite

I have been thinking about purchasing a new rod and have come across the Hardy 8'6" 4wt LRH Lightweight Classic Graphite. I will be ordering it online so I will not have a chance to cast the rod before buying it. Does anyone own this rod? Or even cast it before?
It is a toss up between this LRH or a second bamboo rod.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Happy Fishing All!
Old 04-25-2012, 10:39 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Re: Hardy 8'6" Hardy LRH Classic Graphite

Get yourself to a Hardy stockist near you if there is one and test cast it. If you like it then buy it. If it is more expensive in the shop, taking into consideration shipping etc, then ask the shop if they can price match the online price you saw. I bet they will do it as they will want the business.

Addicted To Vise
Old 04-25-2012, 11:24 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Mill Valley isn't that far from the Leland Sonoma Ranch. I know that it stocks the Hardy brand. I'm sure that the guys and gals (ask for Rachel) will let you cast one on the pond if one is in stock.

Bamboo and graphite are two different feels. Do you want the heavy and slower feel of 'boo, or do you want the light and quick recovery of graphite?

As for the LRH. It has a very rounded mid flex. Compared to other graphite rods, the LRH is slow. If this is the feel that you want, the LRH could be a winner.

Dennis
Old 04-25-2012, 11:24 PM

Thanks for the feedback s fontinalis, Mosca just brought to my attention they stock Hardy at Leland. Ill give them a call in the morning.

I currently have a 8' 5-6wt bamboo rod. I enjoy slowing down my cast and really presenting a dry fly to rising trout. The love the sensitivity of bamboo.

Now I have a Thomas and Thomas Horizon. Very fast rod. I enjoy casting it, not so much fishing it. It shoots line very well. But I would rather cast the line. I picked up a Hardy Sovereign fly rod. 8'6" 5-6 wt. It is nice, but something a little lighter would be nice. I fish the Upper Sac, Little Truckee, Truckee, East Carson etc. I would like a 4wt for most of the locations I fish.

I would love to have another bamboo rod. I attended Spey O Rama in SF last weekend. I casted a couple of random, no name bamboo rods and they were horrible. A nice, well made rod is just out of my price range. I could try to save, but would like to fish it sooner than later. I love the Hardy products and came across the LRH. I hoped it would have a slower action than most graphite rods. I'm still looking for around for a nice bamboo rod, if I don't come across something soon, I would like to pick up the LRH.

Thanks for the feedback fellas!
Old 04-25-2012, 11:32 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

If the LRH isn't what you are looking for, take a look at the Scott G2 (graphite/medium action) or the Scott F2 (fiberglass/medium action). If I recall correctly, Leland is a Scott dealer.

Dennis
Old 04-25-2012, 11:51 PM

I have heard about that G2, Ill have to check it out. Have you ever cast a Winston IM6? Do you think they have a similar action?
Old 04-25-2012, 11:58 PM

It has been years since I last cast a Winston IM6. I couldn't give you an accurate comparison on feel. It's been too long.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:01 AM

I cast one for the first time a couple months ago. Pretty smooth cast.

Gracias Mosca.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:54 AM

victorod77 is on a distinguished road

I got this rod recently. It is medium or slow-medium action, mostly supposed for dry fly fishing and delicate presentations. Also it capable to throw small nymphs, but not weighted streamers. So, it is not all-around rod and more inclined towards dry fly fishing at close/medium distances.

I matched it with Hardy Marksman WF 4wt line.
Hardy Lightweight LRH fly reel would be a perfect match, both in weight and in style
Old 06-18-2013, 07:33 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

If the Hardy doesn't do it for you, and you're looking to slow it down, you could always try test casting a Sage Circa or one of the new Scott glass rods. I've given them both the "wiggle test" but not cast either.

Cheers,
Mike.