The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2012, 12:27 PM

TexUte Fly will become famous soon enoughTexUte Fly will become famous soon enough
Default trying to fish streamers again.

hi all im back from last summer finally. the winter season here ended and i survived with only 4 injuries. 2 of which are on my casting arm! so about here in a week i will be out again for another 2-3 weeks due to surgery.
but we had the worst snowfall in history this year which means our river is down to 130cfs from a 600cfs last year. i can finally find those deep pockets where the big guys live. i keep trying my luck with streamers since i can cast and put them right infront of their face. i cast a bugger upstream and out, then let it sink to the bottom then give it 4-6" pulls till i get it where i need then slow down the pulls. some fish act VERY interested following it around for a while but ive only ever gotten 2 hits from a fish both of which i didnt hook up on they were both around 15". the fish that follow it around are atleast 12" long which i feel is big enough to hit a small bugger. but i do but a weight directly in front of it to help it sink to the bottom. should i be putting the weight maybe 4" infront of my bugger? just dont understand why they follow but never hit it.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:46 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: trying to fish streamers again.

if I add shot, it is about 12-18" ahead of the streamer.
To quote chevy chase in caddy shack, "be the ball danny, be the ball."

ps, if it is broad daylight, low flows, clear water, or high pressure, you might need something more realistic than a wooly bugger.
Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by tbblom; 04-25-2012 at 12:50 PM. Reason: pic added
Old 04-25-2012, 12:49 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Might help putting a bit of action on the fly rather than just swinging. Cast straight across at the top of the hole, as soon as fly hits the water throw an up stream mend in your line. this slack gives it a chance to sink a bit before you start stripping. Then just use short strips varying the speed and length. Be sure to follow the fly with the rod tip as it moves down stream so as not to pick up to much speed from the drag of the current. This makes the fly dart and pause in the water much the way a bait fish in distress will. Should produce some hits!! Good luck!
mcnerney likes this.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 04-25-2012, 12:56 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

While some people have good results with woolly buggers I never had any faith in them unless there are either giant black stone fly nymphs or lots of small leech's in the water. I would hand you a feather wing streamer if we were there together and would then be able to see just what you are doing. Generally when fish chase after something but don't grab it that is an indication of three things. They are willing to pursue the fly and are curious. They are not convinced that it is real and have had enough time to determine that it is not something they should grab. The third consideration is that they have seen this same thing many times before and chase after it by instinct but recognize it.

There are countless other reasons for refusal of a fly but I have always looked at the three I just wrote as the primary issues to be addressed. You must also be cautious that the same fish that are chasing the fly are not in a position to see you looming there on the horizon of their window of vision. A feather wing streamer, hand tied and well constructed provides several things that can aid in tough conditions. The fly will have the basic silhouette / profile of a small bait fish. The fly when constructed right will have an action similar to that of a undulating swimming bait fish. Depending on the coloration of the fly and your presentation of it, a feather wing streamer may be something that every other person who has swung a fly through that hole has not used.

Fish (I believe) become conditioned through constant exposure to flies and lures that are presented by less than careful fishermen. When the fish reaches the point of conditioning that they suspect something is wrong during a pursuit and then see a human they eventually connect the dots. I am not suggesting an intelligence but more of a basic survival instinct. The more conditioning a particular group of fish are exposed to the more imaginative your approach must be if you are to succeed in fooling them.

A couple of the easiest feather wings to produce would be: Dark Spruce, Light Spruce, and the Nine Three. A little searching will yield the hooks and materials list for these flies. If I only had three streamers to fish a new and difficult place with it would be these three. There are other things that can help with the success ratio, I would recommend fishing at the very crack of dawn and on rainy days from dawn until about 9:00 AM. If you can't get it done from first light till 9, you probably won't

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-25-2012, 03:36 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

That's the kind of pep-talk I need to get back into streamer fishing, and most importantly, to tie up a few Nine-Threes. Be right back, gotta go swing...

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 04-25-2012, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Many people stop stripping line when they see a fish following or moving to the fly, I don't know if you do this but it's relevant and worth mentioning....keep the fly moving!
As mentioned earlier the Wooly Bugger a is very common streamer and the fish in The Provo see more of them than a "toilet seat sees hind ends." Ditch em and find a pattern nobody else uses.
Hardyreels and mcnerney like this.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Last edited by fysh; 05-20-2012 at 12:03 AM.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:04 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
the Wooly Bugger is very common streamer, the fish in The Provo see more of them than a toilet seat sees hind ends.
I never thought of it like that but ............ yeah, get a new fly

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-19-2012, 09:44 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

So I kept true to my promise today. I told my buddy this morning if the action is quiet and I dont throw a streamer kick me in the shin and call me a idiot.

So we went to a new spot for us and saw all the Colorado weather we could handle. Started fishing in a snow storm, which was followed by rain squalls, followed by sun, followed by hail and thunder, followed by rain, followed by sun.

Anyway I am sore we were throwing triples today on a 6wt. Size 4 Salmonfly,followed by a size 6 bead head wire nypmh , followed by a size 12 beadhead prince nymph. That is hard to throw for 8 hours. Anyway fishing was in 20 minute spurts,20 of activity followed by 20 of nothing. So anyway middle of the day it was slow and I tied on a size 6 streamer in a olive green shiny color and thought what the heck. Threw it out at a 90 to the middle of the river and let it sink and start in the current. Started stripping in in and bam , but I missed it. Recast same thing same action "WHAM" 14" super fat german brown nailed it. Ive not had a fish get on my drag in quite some time. It was awesome.

Lo and behold they start hitting salmon flies again so I go back to that and catch a few, then it gets quiet so i go back to the streamer and 3 more on that. I guess if nothing else works throw a streamer
fysh and Davo like this.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:02 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

I hit the 'like' icon because I've become such a huge fan of tossing streamers (inpart thanks to Davo) but honestly, I say why not fish them all the time and have another rod rigged and ready to go when you see em hitting on top.

Streamer fishing has become my favorite.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 05-20-2012, 12:16 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
I hit the 'like' icon because I've become such a huge fan of tossing streamers (inpart thanks to Davo) but honestly, I say why not fish them all the time and have another rod rigged and ready to go when you see em hitting on top.

Streamer fishing has become my favorite.

Ah!!! Another successful convert!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures