The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2005, 01:13 PM
Curtis will become famous soon enoughCurtis will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Curtis
Default Runoff

So, we are experiencing the runoff here in Utah now. We have gotten a ton of snow this year. In some places like 300% of normal, which we desperately needed to end this drought. Some of our reservoirs were at half fill. Almost every one of them is expected to completely fill this year. That is great and all but being a moving water nut, I get pushed off most of the streams this year by high, muddy water. What do you guys do when it gets this way. I am really not into stillwater at all so that is not much of a help though I don't mind casting from the shores of some of our smaller high mountain lakes for cruising brookies. I really don't like tying flies enough to sit for hours at the vise. Basically, I am out every year.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:21 PM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Runoff

If you dont like stillwater there really arn't many other options.. You may have to go to the movies.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshfanatic
If you dont like stillwater there really arn't many other options.. You may have to go to the movies.
Or paradise pond.
Old 04-27-2005, 02:05 PM

*shudder* No! Not that!
Old 04-27-2005, 02:59 PM
Chris Hewett will become famous soon enoughChris Hewett will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis
So, we are experiencing the runoff here in Utah now. We have gotten a ton of snow this year. In some places like 300% of normal, which we desperately needed to end this drought. Some of our reservoirs were at half fill. Almost every one of them is expected to completely fill this year. That is great and all but being a moving water nut, I get pushed off most of the streams this year by high, muddy water. What do you guys do when it gets this way. I am really not into stillwater at all so that is not much of a help though I don't mind casting from the shores of some of our smaller high mountain lakes for cruising brookies. I really don't like tying flies enough to sit for hours at the vise. Basically, I am out every year.
Sounds like you have several things that need to be addressed. I will leave your personal avoidance of stillwater to someone else since all stillwater to me smacks of cholera...
If we assume that trout still feed when the water is high and muddy, which may not be true, but if it isn't, doesn't give you much hope for fishing under those conditions, then two things are important.
1) visibility.
there is an interesting book, now out of print, called "what fish see" which details how water clarity, depth and mineral content affects the color of light reaching the lure (fly) and thus affects it's visibility to fish. There is a huge difference in the colorations and materials that need to be used for a fish to see a fly in muddy water compared to clear, fresh water, but it is possible to come up with color and material that is highly visible.

2) Fish location.
They will be holding in different places than when the water is low. I think the same rules apply as far as energy expended per opportunity for food, but these places might be fewer or more difficult to fish so your technique will have to vary.

My guess?
Highly visible (for the water type, which needs to be analyzed) attractor patterns that will trigger the strike instinct. Fished as deep as possible in slower areas.

This has worked for me to some extent on coastal rivers with high seasonal flow fluctuations due to rain.

Either way, it gives you an excuse to get out on the water and try to beat the odds.
Old 04-27-2005, 06:05 PM

Good point. A day on the water without a fish is still better then a day not on the water. And who knows, maybe a fish will hit and make a great day even a little better.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

It sounds like this is the situation for a long rod, 10' of 4x flouro, 3 bb size shot, and a fat (with weight) Copper John. Throw that tuck cast that would make Joe Humphreys proud and follow it downstream.

Remember, they don't have time to be picky when the river's a cookin'! But be careful wading, heavy water don't mess around!

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:27 PM

Yeah, and now we are getting more rain!! Man, I am starting to think I live in a rainforest! I will be happy we have all this water come summer but right now, it kind of bites.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:22 AM

If you hit the Provo or the Weeb with the high flows, have a nice swim...
Old 04-28-2005, 01:01 AM

I Never Fall!!!!