The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2007, 10:47 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default New Gadget

I am a sucker for new toys. Specially if they really work. Tonight I was at a Fly Store and the Clerk is very smart cause he knew just which buttons to push on me.
Maybe the putting glasses on to sign the Credit card ticket. Anyway, this thing works!. It comes with a little clip to put it on a Landyard. about an 1 1/2" long with a groove and a magnet at the end. You can almost just drop a fly on it and it will land with the eye in the groove. Parachutes you might have to raise the bend of the hook up.
Put the tippet in the groove and push. It goes through the eye sooo easy, then just pick the two ends of the tippet up and tie the knot of your choice.
Oh yeah, the magnet is small but it holds the fly real well. I was shaking it with a size 14 beadhead and it would fall off.
This is going to make threading those size 30's so much easier this winter. I can even do it with out looking at the tool.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:40 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly
Default Re: New Gadget

now thats is slick!!! but will it always go throught the lil eye hole everytime?? is so that is super slick!!!!

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:27 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Did you try it on real dinky flies? If so and it works I'm sold!
Old 11-10-2007, 10:46 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Re: New Gadget

Joni, you are absolutely right about the Magnetic Fly Threader. I bought one at my local Orvis store after my previous tippit-to-fly gadget, the Quick-Tye Threader shown below (& also previously bought at that Orvis store, to be "fair & balanced") didn't work at all for me. Uniquely, the Magnetic Fly Threader has worked on all sizes of flies for me, although as you say particularly "fluffy" dries may occasionally need some position-adjusting. It's almost completely supplanted use of my "sewing needle"-type threader.

FWIW, if anyone thinks more positively about the Quick-Tye Threader than I do, I'd be happy to sell it for half its $9.99 price, including postage - just PM me. It's still in it's original packaging.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Quick-Tye Threader.jpg (15.2 KB, 11 views)
Old 11-10-2007, 11:00 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
Did you try it on real dinky flies? If so and it works I'm sold!

Okay due to the fact that I got these Last Night, I went out to check it this morning. I put it at the bottom of my Landyard with easy reach and sight. I threw on one of my 30' which I tend to make the wings a little fluffy. Ite landed right at the end of the groove. I tried to turn it and it righted itself and I slid a 2lb flouro right through it. It truely is a dream come true. I am sure the more I use it the more natural and smooth it will get.