The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2012, 11:49 PM

adglife is on a distinguished road
Default Fly vest?

I'm getting this out to the different forums I belong to.

Biggest thing I'm looking for is opinions on whether all vests are created equal, as well as overall opinions of Redington.

Thanks everyone!

-Tony

Last edited by Hardyreels; 04-28-2012 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Removed link to forums & web site
Old 04-28-2012, 12:05 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: Fly vest?

tony,
i've owned a couple redington vests, one a blackfoot and the other one i can't recall. great vests for the price.
then, about 2 years ago, i got a surprise bday gift of a patagonia riverwalker vest and, it's so bad i'll, never go back
also gotta hip pack comin too

casey

ARFE
Old 04-28-2012, 08:33 AM

twobuckchuck is on a distinguished road

I really like the Orvis Clearwater Mesh Vest. This is the first (and only) fly vest I've ever owned, and it has given me 4 years of service with no problems whatsoever. Most of Orvis' stuff is rather pricey, but this sells for only $59. And I prefer the mesh construction because I'd guess about 85% of my fishing is done in pretty warm weather (but, of course, that's just a personal thing).

---------- Post added at 07:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:31 AM ----------

Here's another one for the informed out there. Are there any reasonable options for fly fishing vest made in the USA?
Old 04-28-2012, 01:04 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Tony,

You'll notice I removed the link to your web site. We have a rule about linking to personal off site reviews, blogs, forums, and etc. You would be quite welcome to place your review here on the forum in our Gear Reviews threads located here: Gear Reviews - The North American Fly Fishing Forum

As for the question about are all vests created equal......... I believe some of the newer vests offered are much more well designed than the old school vests of the past. With the huge variety available today it would be a full time job to test them all. Some folks like a vest while others a pack will do. Many contemporary anglers are getting by with a lanyard and hip pack. As the years have passed I've became a minimalist and no longer use any vest.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-28-2012, 03:33 PM

rockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to all

This is where my search ended up and I couldn't be happier. Filson's Foul Weather Strap Vest. Filson Strap Vest vs Foul Weather Vest
Old 04-28-2012, 06:36 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
This is where my search ended up and I couldn't be happier. Filson's Foul Weather Strap Vest. Filson Strap Vest vs Foul Weather Vest
That will probably be what I finally end up with too. I've wanted a good, small daypack to carry a jacket, water and food and also have access to some necessities. None of the Fishpond options really suit my tastes.

Sorry to swerve off topic...to answer your initial question: are all vest created equal? - I would give an emphatic NO. There are probably far too many options to consider. If I were vest shopping I would decide on a fabric/style i.e. mesh/lightweight for summer or full fabric if you don't care about the heat factor. Most important is the collar and/or yoke design. Vest tend to carry to much stuff and get weighted down. That weight is slung across the back of your neck, essentially. Some sort of collar is essential, imo. Good luck!

---------- Post added at 05:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:29 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseywise View Post
tony,
i've owned a couple redington vests, one a blackfoot and the other one i can't recall. great vests for the price.
then, about 2 years ago, i got a surprise bday gift of a patagonia riverwalker vest and, it's so bad i'll, never go back
also gotta hip pack comin too

casey
Just did quick search to see what the vest looked like and found a closeout sale on new XL for $85 in Casper, Wyoming.

I'm glad I'm not an XL or I would be seriously considering a purchase!
Old 04-28-2012, 06:37 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I shifted away from a vest because, like Dean has said, I was able to carry too much and it was making my lower back hurt at the end of long days on the water. Personally, I use a small Simms chestpack, combined with a backpack when I need to haul more gear in (tripod, lunch, etc.) However, many of my friends swear by Simms when it comes to vest, though I really do like the looks of the Filson strap-vest...

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 04-28-2012, 07:12 PM

txshane has a spectacular aura abouttxshane has a spectacular aura abouttxshane has a spectacular aura about

Another small chest pack fan here. All my vests have been collecting dust for year. They all have too many pockets.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:04 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

I'm on the side of the anti-vest members. I've had Orvis, Sage and some cheapies years ago. The more pockets, the heavier the vest. I've got a Fishpond guide fanny pack, and didn't care for it. Finally got a William Joseph Old School Satchel that is more to my liking and It's been my choice going on 3 years now.
I know that doesn't help in you finding a vest, but it might for other alternatives.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:18 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

I have vests, a chest pack, and a fanny pack. I carry a lanyard and wear a wading jacket most of the time when I am hoofing it, a lanyard and use the gear bags built into my cumberland when I am on my tube. That's it, no vests, no packs, etc...

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.