The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2010, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fishing in Austria (part1)

Just back from eight days’ fishing in Austria.We spent five days in Gerlos and fished the amazing domain of the Hotel Platzer(see map)5 mountain streams and 5 lakes.Click the image to open in full size.
On the day we arrived we fished the lower part of the Krummbach which is easy for we were a bit tired by our 12 hours’ drive.We caught a good number of bows and spent a while trying to catch a big one which was chasing others from her “private property”.
On the second day we went to the upper part of the Schonachbach which is one of our favourites.Click the image to open in full size. the part running through the meadows is not extraordinary but as soon as you get to the part in the fir trees it’s more interesting with a huge density of browns and bows up to 40cm or more.Click the image to open in full size.
On the third day it was raining so we went to the upper part of the Krummbach,the water was a bit high but the fish were like mad and we could land a lot of nice bows and browns but we didn’t go as far as usual up the canyon.Click the image to open in full size.
On the fourth day we fished the Neederbach which is a great experience because we’re the only ones allowed to fish it once a year.It’s a wonderful little mountain stream full of fish.We parked our car and walked down to the creek then fished upstream.The first part isn’t too difficult but it gets harder and captivating when you reach the little canyon.My son Nico is in love with the Neederbach,I think you’ll understand why when you see the pics.
Click the image to open in full size.
On the last day we went to the Swarzachbach,we fished the upper part which is a very fast one with lots of little spots behind rocks and hollow banks where browns and bows hide and jump on the fly that’s why they’re often dark with beautiful colours.Nico hooked a big bow and held it for a minute but I couldn’t net it ….just bellow the Scharzachalm it was incredible all the fish were out and we could catch one nearly at every cast.

We didn’t fish the main stream,the Gerlosbach and the lakes but other anglers told us they had a great time there…as for us we didn’t see anyone by the water in five days.In the evening we enjoyed drinking a good Zillertaller beer at the bar , having a delicious meal and a good rest in our comfortable room after a “hard fishing day”.The boss and his wife Cornelia are very friendly …she told me I should guide for the lodge in summer when I retire.That’s an interesting offer.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:43 AM

twfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Fishing in Austria (part1)

Very nice report JP... Some beautiful waters and lovely fish. Austria for me was always equated with skiing and snowboarding, I didn't know there was such great fishing!
Old 07-14-2010, 11:08 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Spectacular scenery!!! It's very hot in Pennsylvania right now, and I'd love to see snow capped mountains while fishing.

Is that other angler in the photos your son? He appears to be wearing a tactical military vest. I never thought of going that route, but will look into it. The grab handle on the back would come in handy for my wife (you'd have to see her wade to know what I mean ).

Excellent Report! I'm envious.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:10 AM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

Beautiful pictures! Enjoyed your report. I can understand why your son fell in love with the Neederbach. Awesome! Just Awesome!

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 07-14-2010, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
Spectacular scenery!!! It's very hot in Pennsylvania right now, and I'd love to see snow capped mountains while fishing.

Is that other angler in the photos your son? He appears to be wearing a tactical military vest. I never thought of going that route, but will look into it. The grab handle on the back would come in handy for my wife (you'd have to see her wade to know what I mean ).

Excellent Report! I'm envious.
You're right my son wears a tactical military vest....no need to see her wading to know what you mean
Old 07-14-2010, 11:32 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

JP: Excellent trip report and photos! I can see why you like to fish in Austria every year, that is a gorgeous place to fish. The Neeederbach looks to be a challenging place to navigate and fish, I can see why Nico likes it so much.
Can't wait to see Part 2!

Larry
Old 07-14-2010, 08:54 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Great report and pics, J-P.

Those streams look really good and the background scenary is simply spectacular. Glad you found good numbers of fish and had a chance to fish such varied waters. I can understand the attraction (and the constant challenges) of fishing the Neederbach.

You should consider the guiding offer; it's not the South of France, but if the fishing is great - hey, why not!?!

Glad to have you back!

Pocono
Old 07-15-2010, 01:41 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Wow!

Jean Paul, this is a beautiful place. It looks like Montana, beautiful.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-15-2010, 08:15 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

JP, Great report and pics... I can only see one problem with fishing there, I'd never want to come home...

Dan
Old 07-16-2010, 12:28 AM

outside_bend is on a distinguished road

Amazing how you can go halfway across the world and still find places that look familiar.

Thanks for sharing!