The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By silver creek
  • 1 Post By Keith Williams

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2012, 06:03 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Did you catch the skishing

on this weeks episode of "Fishing on the Edge"?

Skishing is wet suit fishing with conventional spinning gear. They put on wet suits with flippers and swim into the ocean to fish for striped bass. It's not fly fishing, but if you get the NBCSP cable channel, check it out.

The wet suits give them buoyancy. It's kind of like fishing with a float tube but no tube. The move a lot fast trough the water without the tube.

Since their faces are at the water level it's a hoot when they try to release the fish. A fin slap gets the host in the face. It seems to be the fishing equivalent of mud wrestling - fishing while swimming with a fish pulling you around.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 05-01-2012, 06:29 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did you catch the skishing

Silver: Sounds interesting to watch, not sure I would be up for something like that or not.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:41 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't know that it had a name, but it's something people have been doing around here for a while.
I remember reading about a club get-together and the picture that they published showed the largest collection of huge fish that I'd ever seen.
Each guy holding 2 fish. All "50s" or better.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:38 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

The call it "skishing" I think for skin-diving-fishing becasue the alternative swim-fishing would be "swishing". They said swishing would gives the wrong impression for a sport of "manly" fishermen.
Noiso likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 05-02-2012, 12:01 PM

Keith Williams is on a distinguished road

Sounds like bobbing for sharks !
theboz likes this.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:09 PM

They did mention that Montauk was the great white shark fishing capital of the east coast.

Silver

Old 05-05-2012, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Silver- Paul Melnyk (the guy who stated it) is a legend around here-- it's done with wet suit, fins and a spinning reel and a surf rod. You'll need a waterproof reel (like a Van Staal) and it helps if you have a couple screws loose- Montauk is a famous fishing town and current out there is very strong and there's a lot of boat traffic-- it's a very dangerous way to go IMHO.

At some point surf fishermen wearing waders switched to wet suits to be able to swim out to rocks and then fish from them-- skishing does away with the "need' for the rocks to stand on-- it's surf casting while treading water...
Old 05-05-2012, 12:10 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Like Peregrines says Montauk your taking your life in your hands with the amount of inshore boat traffic. Not to forget during the run the amount of plugs with three sets of 2/0 treble hooks.
And then there is the nice population of inshore sharks which increase every year due to the ever warming currents.
In the 70s I was one of those crazy guys that would put on my wet suit to go out to the rocks off Jones Reef and North Bar in Momtauk. I had many great days with good fish from those rocks . To bring my fish back to shore I would attach my stringer to my utility belt and have them drag behind as I swam. On one particular swim the two large weakfish I had hanging from my belt seemed to hang up on something. Turning over on my back to see what the snag was I came face to face with my problem a large Blue Shark playing tug of war. Guess what? That blue became the proud owner of two weakfish , a stringer , a utility belt and all it's accessories as I hightailed it for shore. Also helped make me a much better beach fisherman!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser