The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2012, 06:29 PM

bassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura aboutbassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura aboutbassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura about
Default It finally all came together.

I'm a total newbie fly fisherman but I've been really into the sport.

I've been working on my casting, my bug entomology, my fly pattern knowledge, etc... reading a lot, watching videos, just trying to improve.

Today if finally all came together and I hooked a trout on pure skill rather than my usual dumb luck.

I was on the South Platte river in Colorado. I turned some rocks over and saw the usual stoneflies, and caddis. But I noticed a small pool chock full of midges. And for the first time since I've started fly fishing I knew exactly what fly to tie on.

Shortly thereafter I spotted, on the river, the perfect combination of current, riffle, shade, and a nice rocky cover.

I knew I'd have to sink the nymph so I added a lead weight to the line. I set my Thingamabobber to the depth I thought the water would be. I snuck up to the hole and landed the nymph gently upstream of the rock where I figured the fish would be hanging out. After no more than three casts I had a nice 7 inch trout hooked!! I played the line and wore the trout down. I was able to scoop it into my net very gently, remove the hook and let it regain it's strength enough to swim away.

I was just like those fly fishing videos!

It was awesome! I went on to catch one more 4 incher today as well. I think I'm starting to get the hang of this... maybe.
grassonfly likes this.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:49 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It finally all came together.

Congrats! Sounds like your making some real progress and have the basics down pretty good. The South Platte is a technical river due to all the fishing pressure, when you get that river dialed in you should be able to fish almost anywhere.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:06 PM

bassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura aboutbassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura aboutbassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura about

Yeah it seems pretty technical. I've had only dumb luck there and that's always few and far between. I feels good to finally have a clue what the heck is going on!
Old 05-01-2012, 07:39 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Congratulations! Someday, you'll look back on the day & realize it's not so much about what you did right, but about what you didn't do wrong. At least that's the way it was for me many years ago. Keep at it, it can become a habit!

I think that's the hardest part for someone new to the sport today, putting it all together, as the vast amount of information that's available today & is often overwhelming.

Well done!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 05-01-2012, 07:49 PM

BigJim you're right, there's SOOO much information out there.

If you look at my user name you'll see that I play the bass guitar. I've been playing for 23 years and I've been teaching bass for close to 15 years. My students have a lot of trouble with all the overwhelming information there is on how to play the bass. It's my job to break it down for them and give them the information in small, easily digested lessons.

I keep trying to remind myself that I need to do the same thing when it comes to fly fishing. But it's hard to know what's important and what's just fluff. Today I think I'm finally starting to figure it out. What a fun sport!
Old 05-01-2012, 07:56 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

It's a wonderful feeling, isn"t it? Just starting to live it myself. Congrats!! Looking foeward to more posts.

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 05-01-2012, 07:58 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

That's pretty cool, I remember when I was busy connecting the dots. as a matter of fact it was the last time I was out fishing Every lesson you learn is an important one but every minute you spend on a river seems to yield something new as well.

Glad to hear you are having fun,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-01-2012, 08:04 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on your learning curve and success! There is no shortage of information on the interweb and in particular on this website. The collective knowledge here is just incredible! I have found that fly fishing is a constant learning experience, no matter how long you're at it you can still learn a new technique, how to fish or tie a new pattern, new water, etc. There are always adjustments to be made somewhere along the way. At least for me anyway.

I've been at it for over 10 years and still have days when "it finally comes together". This past spring trip was a perfect example, I learned SOOO much in 10 days from my bud. His instruction and watching him was invaluable. Of course the casting lesson I took and practice I put in didn't hurt either.

Nicely done, stay at it, have patience and beyond anything else, enjoy every moment you have on the water.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:12 PM

Yeah guys, I can see what this is so addictive. Just knowing that I was catching fish because I KNEW how to catch them was the biggest rush I've had in a long long time.

Like any art form it takes patients, practice, study, and skill. And I love it. I can see myself doing this for many years to come.

I know so little, but I look forward to learning so much more. I'm still grinning from ear to ear from my day on the water.
fire instructor likes this.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:10 PM

flyslc is on a distinguished road

I know the feeling. After multiple attempts to get into fly fishing over 30 years, I made a final attempt last summer. I knew I was "hooked" when I caught a 9 inch trout on an elk hair caddis on the Firehole River in Yellowstone. I'll never forget that little guy.

Fly fished every chance I could thereafter (lots of high mountain lakes in Utah and Idaho) and ended up having a great season. The more you fish, the better you get.

The best is yet to come.
bassguitarplayer likes this.