The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By Davo
  • 2 Post By mcnerney
  • 1 Post By Hardyreels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2012, 07:19 PM

c_mapes is on a distinguished road
Default young angler, having some technical problems!

Now im sure you all get this alot, but im currently 16 (17 in the near future), but beside the point, i have had sooo much trouble trying to get my casting down. i go to an instructor at my local sporting goods store, and i can EASILY cast a 4 wt wf-f line around 50-70 ft with no wind. however, after a few days, or a week. that distance becomes more like 20ft. and so i go back, and again it becomes that great feeling 50-70 ft. andddd then i lose it again. im looking if anybody can give me some really basic pointers, i feel like its just something fundamental that im missing! and just to add, my largest problem is catching my fly on my line as im casting forward. i also cannot even when i am able to long cast, shoot more than 2-3 ft of line.

-Connor
Old 05-02-2012, 07:34 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo
Default Re: young angler, having some technical problems!

Problem one is what is called a tailing loop( fly hooking line on the forecast). Easy to solve, just relax. Tailing loops are caused by over casting the rod. You using more energy than you need on your final forecast trying to get distance. Just relax and let the flex of the rod do the work. This can cause you to have difficulty shooting line as well. When you overflex the rod it can snap back when your forecast stops pulling on the line causing it to stop shooting. So as I said just relax and don't try to muscle the final forecast.

Your instructor should point out this fault to you when you go back having problems. Knowing the problems in your cast and what causes them allows you to solve them for yourself. There is a good book out there called " The Cast" by Ed Jaworski. It is well written and has lots of photos and diagrams on all aspects of casting. Getting a copy would serve you well in your fly fishing experience.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 05-02-2012, 08:19 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

+1 for the advice that Davo has provided. As an additional resource on fly casting instruction, check out the fly casting 3 part video that Tim Landwehr from the Tight Lines Fly Shop has on YouTube. Here is part one:

Also, welcome to the forum!
Hardyreels and Davo like this.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:35 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Connor,

The guys will have you sorted out on casting so I'll just post to say Welcome to the forum. I hope you'll stick around and post with us often, we are way short of young fellows here and will be glad to help as best we can via the computers.

Ard
Davo likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-05-2012, 10:07 AM

nymtber is on a distinguished road

x2 on the video "series" posted. I am a beginner, and was trying other videos/readings and till I saw Tim Landwehr's videos for tightlines, I was not getting very good casts. I have yet to hit the water (only had the rod a little over a week) but at least I can get the fly out there with a gentle presentation now! I do really have to try to cast farther than 30' though, but I have a cheap Martin fly fishing kit, while its decent, I don't even think its WF line, pretty sure its Level line...

Lots to learn here. I wish I had time/money for a fly fishing lesson once a week, but I have too many other hobbies and balancing them all gets tricky!
Old 05-05-2012, 10:14 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Check out the first couple minutes of this video, it may help you get your head around the basic casting movements and give you something to hang on to in the water. Of course, being able to double haul will also help in the wind or when you need extra length.

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.