The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2012, 10:33 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold
Cool Getting to the Fishin' spots In style now.

well for the last few years I have been driving an older mini van, like most 27 year olds I had a vehical that suited my hobbies, large model planes, mt bikes, cmaping gear... all was good. but it wasnt any fun.. for the longest time I have been a Subaru fan, and known several folks with them and all had good stories to tell. So know I can say I finally made it. this is my new to me, 06 Forester L.L. Bean edition. Itll have a bike and kayak rack on it in a few days.

Click the image to open in full size.

plenty more photos to come, but i had to stop on the way home at the park and shoot this.
Mike

one happy flyflinger
gatortransplant and ted4887 like this.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:10 PM

nymtber is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Getting to the Fishin' spots In style now.

You will love it! I have had an 07 Impreza 2.5i Wagon for almost 2 years now, and would not trade it for any car out there. I can load up the tandem kayak (or the solo), all our camping/kayak gear, and even my girlfriend and have room to spare. The 2.5L boxer engine is one smooth engine, and decently powered (for a 4cyl...).

She sure looks purdy
Old 05-02-2012, 11:28 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the Subaru Club.

Just follow rule #1. Let Mother Nature wash your car for you.

I have a 2005 Outback. The backseat stays down mostly unless I drive friends around. Personally I would rather haul gear around than my friends.

My previous car was a 1995 Outback. I put almost 250K miles on it.

Take care of your Subie, and it will take care of you.

Dennis

Bonus video.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:47 AM

Noiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really nice

A buddy of mine has one. When he went out of town he left it with me for a week. I loved it! I'll be in the market for a car soon and was thinking about checking out the Honda Element as well as a Suburu and any other AWD types like this. Any suggestions?
"By the time I was a teenager I fit the standard profile of a lifelong angler. I was lazy, shiftless, unambitious and willing to work hard only at things that were widely considered useless." ~John Gierach
Old 05-03-2012, 08:01 AM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

thanks guys.. ^^ is there anything other then Subaru like this... ahh.. no. Check the used markets, I found this one on autotrader.com . I am due for the 100k mile tune but I have a shop local that specializes in imports, once thats done ill be ready to go even more. stickers, rack soon.
Mike
Old 05-03-2012, 08:03 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

I had a 97 legacy GT wagon. Head gasket blew at ~125,000. Front end stuff all went at about 150,000. 'Keyway' lock on the main crankshaft fell apart around 170,000, had to be re-welded to avoid total failure. Constant slow oil leak from 90K until I sold it ( leaks will drip onto exhaust and burn off and smell pretty bad), mechanic said "well, it is a subaru". Alarm system tripped out in the middle of the desert, car wouldn't start, had to be towed to Moab...
Spent about $5K keeping the thing running for a couple of years, always was a dog in the hills. I've heard the newer ones are better, but that's been my experience with the 'Subs'. I have been told I am very hard on my vehicles though... To be fair, I did commute up into the mountains every day.
Sorry to be a bummer! Otherwise they are great camping cars and are pretty 'four wheely' if you are careful, just don't expect the under-carraige stuff to be as tough as a truck. Make sure to do your preventative stuff early, and don't try to drive fast up the mountain passes. Suby's are slow and underpowered inherently unless you have the WRX or other turbo. Whatever yo do, just keep the leaks in check and drive mellow and your car will last longer! I've had old hondas that could be hammmered on and still work well, I believe you will want to pamper the sub a bit more.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:48 AM

nymtber is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbblom View Post
I had a 97 legacy GT wagon. Head gasket blew at ~125,000. Front end stuff all went at about 150,000. 'Keyway' lock on the main crankshaft fell apart around 170,000, had to be re-welded to avoid total failure. Constant slow oil leak from 90K until I sold it ( leaks will drip onto exhaust and burn off and smell pretty bad), mechanic said "well, it is a subaru". Alarm system tripped out in the middle of the desert, car wouldn't start, had to be towed to Moab...
Spent about $5K keeping the thing running for a couple of years, always was a dog in the hills. I've heard the newer ones are better, but that's been my experience with the 'Subs'. I have been told I am very hard on my vehicles though... To be fair, I did commute up into the mountains every day.
Sorry to be a bummer! Otherwise they are great camping cars and are pretty 'four wheely' if you are careful, just don't expect the under-carraige stuff to be as tough as a truck. Make sure to do your preventative stuff early, and don't try to drive fast up the mountain passes. Suby's are slow and underpowered inherently unless you have the WRX or other turbo. Whatever yo do, just keep the leaks in check and drive mellow and your car will last longer! I've had old hondas that could be hammmered on and still work well, I believe you will want to pamper the sub a bit more.
Drive a newer legacy with the 3.0H6 engine. They put out 260ish HP... If you think that is slow...No turbo, just two extra cylinders

Subaru has had some headgasket issues with the 2.5L. But then again, headgaskets on aluminum block 4cyl seem to be an issue over 100k with ANY car maker these days. Not every car, but enough to notice. Look at the 90's Neons...TERRIBLE head gasket issues, yet lots still on the road today! Keeping the coolant fresh seems to help subies last longer, as well as the other fluids. I pay for the 30k service, sure its a few hundred but it keeps my car running in top performance.

Heck, they use so much road salt around here that getting any vehicle over 100k means rust everywhere, so parts don't last as long...
Old 05-03-2012, 11:28 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

It should make a good car for you Mike. We bought an 09 when they arrived here in 08, I think it has 60K or there abouts on it now. For the first 55,000 miles all I did was change the oil every 3000 miles. At 55 K, I replaced the plugs and air filter, it is a very good car. It averages 28.5 - 30 miles / gallon highway and 27 city. Considering that it has full time 4 wheel drive the mileage isn't bad. The 4 wheel drive works very well and we have plenty of test terrain for it. There is nothing bad to say about them in my experience. The tires that Subaru sells and supplies as stock on them (Yokohama) are still good at 60 K miles. They are expensive but are what we will buy as replacement tires for the car. How many times have you really ran a pair of tires for 60 + thousand miles and could say that they are still good!

Congratulations & enjoy,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-03-2012, 08:33 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Mike: Congrats on the fishing rig, that should serve you well for years to come! You're definitely styling!

Old 05-03-2012, 09:51 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

Sure kicks the pants off of my '97 VW with 268K on the clock. (It will go to the grave with me-- It was the first (and last) new car I have ever bought-- we've seen 38 states together and it brought both of my kids home from the hospital.

The one thing that I do have on you is that there is something to be said for having a vehicle that you just don't give a damn about.....

Nice car-- enjoy it. also-- what kind of bike goes into the bike rack? My rack can be seen regularly hauling my Transition Preston or my DJ bike.