The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 12:19 AM

i suck at fishing is on a distinguished road
Default buy or tie?

me personally just buy my own flies, but i know alot of people who prefer tying their own. so do you guys tie or buy and why
Old 05-03-2012, 05:05 AM

pa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: buy or tie?

I actually started tying before I started fly fishing. I can count on one hand the number of flies I have bought. It hasn't saved me any money, I'm pretty sure, but it's made many cold winter evenings a lot more fun.

Welcome to the forum!
Old 05-03-2012, 07:30 AM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

It's an unbelievable "rush" to catch a fish with a fly that you've tied yourself. I imagine that the only better fly-fishing feeling can be to catch a fish with your own fly, on a rod that you've built yourself.
jaybo41 likes this.

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 05-03-2012, 07:34 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

For me it's both. I tie and buy. To tie all my flies would take time away from fishing. As a result I tie some specialty streamers and buy the rest.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 05-03-2012, 07:46 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I tie 90% of what I fish with. I buy when there are special local patterns (I always make sure to keep one to learn to tie it), when I'm running low on the needed flies and I'm on the river, and sometimes I buy more complex 22's and 24's if I don't feel like spending the time to tie them.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:01 AM

Noiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really nice

I have taken a couple lessons - and have tied a Griffith's gnat and a woolly bugger. I recently assembled a sucker egg pattern with yellow pompons, a pink sharpy and super glue. I have yet to catch a fish on a fly I tied and hope to change that some day. My local fly fishing club has fly tying lessons/workshops and we have a vice laying around with some materials - so I have no excuses.
But for now I buy. I imagine some day I will do both.
"By the time I was a teenager I fit the standard profile of a lifelong angler. I was lazy, shiftless, unambitious and willing to work hard only at things that were widely considered useless." ~John Gierach
Old 05-03-2012, 09:19 AM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

TIE!

There is only one way to have complete control over both the; supply & demand, and the overall quality of your flies… and that is to tie your own.

Some fly patterns – soft hackles for example – are either simply not available or they are tied incorrectly (quickly) in most shops… and the only solution to that is to tie them yourself.

The art of fly-tying is the passion within the obsession of this sport. I could not imagine fly-fishing without the fly-tying.
Rip Tide likes this.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:32 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Tie, its just another part of the addiction. Like Fire Insturctor said its another rush, and like Stenacron says you have control over quality and design.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:02 AM

ditz has a spectacular aura aboutditz has a spectacular aura aboutditz has a spectacular aura about

I tie 99.9% of my flies. I sometimes will buy a pattern that I like to copy. I have tied for many years and yes it can be expensive if you use all of the reciepe items but many can be substituted and one does not need it all to start. All in all I believe that it is cheaper to tie than to buy particularly if you like to experiment with differen patterns and sizes and colors. I can tie up many dozen for what I would spend for a couple dozen store bought flies. That is what I tell my wife anyway. One last thought. I hate losing 3 to $7 flies. If I get hung in a fish holding area I just break off and tie on another. Then I go home and tie up 3 more.

I lost 3 shrimp patterns one morning to some blues. When I got back to the house I tied up a dozen or so in a couple of sizes for backups. and it only cost me pennys.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:41 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

For most of the past 45 years I've tied my own, primarily bass & saltwater flies. However, over the last 4 or 5 years I've bought some flies too. Started out buying some to copy the pattern, but found some guys selling flies that were actually very well tied so bought more.
One fellow I found, actually has an excellent bass streamer he ties, not something I've seen in catalogs either. I tied commercially for awhile, so can appreciate what others are trying to do with their talent.

A couple of years ago I was going on vacation to the SC coast & wanted to make sure I had plenty of flies, but didn't have much time to tie. Just happens that Orvis, which I'm not particularly a fan of, was having a sale & selling flies for 50 cents each, including saltwater flies. So, I bought a bunch. They're not my own, but still good quality on good hooks & they won't go bad. Heck, I doubt I could have tied some of them for less than 50 cents with my time limits.

Whether I tie or buy is usually relative to my situation at the time I need the flies. I'll tie most of the flies I use, but don't mind buying good flies when I have a need to do so.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!