The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 01:35 PM

1move has a spectacular aura about1move has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up Newbie, just saying hello, and gear questions?

Hi Everyone,
I have started to get interested more and more into fly fishing with my girlfriend. I always enjoyed fishing and being out there and we live in a place that is world renowned for fishing.

I got annoyed one day on a small lake filled with about 15-20 fisherman and not catching anything. I was giving up and a fly fisherman setup across from me and started casting. Every 4-7th cast this guy had a fish; I got ticked off as I am unable to catch anything and he is just mastering these fish. It was truly something else.

My girlfriend and I signed up for a course for fly fishing that is coming up in a few weeks and have been educating ourselves as much as we can on fly fishing. One of the things I learned in life is to buy what you like and what feels good. The local stores we went to usually never showed huge price tags as everything was about the look of the item you are purchasing.

I picked up a few rods and reels and they felt like they were part of my hand on this one setup. I fell in love with it as it just felt so natural. I agreed that if we get into fly fishing that I can pay for most of the gear. Little did I know that the gear was pretty darn pricey. I know that I am just getting into the sport but I firmly believe in "if you spend the money it will last". I rather spend it upfront and add on to compliment it, than replace it.

The setup that I am talking about is a Sage One 6 wt for the rod, and an Abel Super Series 6N reel. What are your guys opinions on this?
Old 05-03-2012, 02:08 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Newbie, just saying hello, and gear questions?

Just saying Hi, I'm short of time but others will be posting to answer your questions soon.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-03-2012, 02:17 PM

txshane has a spectacular aura abouttxshane has a spectacular aura abouttxshane has a spectacular aura about

Welcome to the sport. I'm sure you will enjoy it immensely.

I don't have any experience with the specific rod you mention, but I have a couple of Sage rods that are very nice. I have some rods that were less expensive that I like equally well too.

I've owned some Able reels, and they are top notch. You can easily get by with less expensive reels that are still very good quality, but do shy away from the cheap junk. Quality gear holds a decent resale value, if you take care of it. Likewise, if you take care of it it will last for decades.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

...got no Sage rods or Abel reels...but you can't go wrong with a One and a Super seriesthey should last for long.Just my two cents:I think you should wait before buying such expensive gear till you can test some and chose the one you like best
Old 05-03-2012, 03:04 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum! Sage and Abel are top notch gear, and you can't go wrong with that as the others have stated, but I wouldn't recommend jumping in with both feet and spending that kind of money until your sure this is the sport you want to spend a lot of time learning. You will soon find out that fly fishing is a life time learning experience, there is always something new to learn and that is a lot of the excitement for me at least. There are a lot of nice rods and reels out there. I'd certainly recommend waiting on any purchases until after your fly casting lesson and listen carefully to what the instructor says about rod sizes and recommendations for the type of water in your area.
jaybo41 likes this.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:53 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the board and to the sport. Reading your post and the experience at the local lake you were fishing reminds me of how I too got into the sport. I have not looked back since!

Great advice given by Larry. Wait until you have had your lesson and pay close attention to what the instructor has to say not only about the specifics and mechanics of fly fishing but to the gear.

An Abel is a reel for a lifetime if properly cared for and maintained, they are exceptionally made. If you *had* to have one of the two of them, I'd go for the reel. There are tons of other great options as well.

The rod is a little bit different. Casting style is a little different for everyone. Some prefer rods that take a slower stroke, while others enjoy the fast action rods that require a quicker stroke. See what the instructor has and pay attention to what feels great when you are casting. I don't have experience with the Sage One, but own plenty of Sage Rods and enjoy them all. This pairing is probably more than you want or need for now but a setup to grow into. If you can swing it and it's not going to hamper your budget, why not. The importance with any gear though is your ability to use it well and to your advantage. Again, welcome to the sport and don't get discouraged. This is one of those hobbies that is a constant learning experience no matter how long you have been with it.
Falk likes this.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:54 PM

siskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nice

You don't have to spend that much if you dont want too!
My waders+boots+rod/reel/line+hip pack and everything else in it costs less then that rod or reel combo and I don't feel like anything's holding me back.

That being said, if you want it and can justify it you'll have a hell of a set up! Agreed with Larry about going slow though, you never know how your preferences will change as you learn and grow as a fly-fisherman.

Steelheader's Anonymous.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:36 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

What will you be chasing with the 6wt?

The Sage One and Abel reel would likely last you a life time. One tip I can give when buying new gear is to buy it online, you can likely save hundreds of dollars.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:52 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

One more thing to add that is contradictory to the previous poster's opinion...if you have a good fly shop nearby, buy from them. Develop a good relationship with the people in the shop. That relationship is worth its weight in gold. Here are two recent examples from personal experience:

I called and booked a casting lesson a few weeks ahead of time. We get going, the hour goes by fast, the instructor asks me if I want to keep going. "Sure" I say. I wound up getting 2 hours of instruction from the guy, made my way into the shop, took my tying materials to the counter and they didn't charge me for the lesson. When I asked if they had included the lesson on my bill, their response: "Don't worry about it, you're a great customer". That money went into the tip for the instructor.

Purchased a new set of waders from the same shop and they did not have my size available. These guys placed the order on Saturday, picked up the 2 day drop ship charge and had the boots shipped to my residence so that I would have them for an upcoming trip.

Don't just do it for the freebies, but a good shop is an invaluable source of good information on gear, fishing destinations, techniques...I could go on and on. When you are looking for a new rod, a good shop will help guide you onto a rod that fits your budget and casting style. Not to say that you can't save a few bucks online---I do it too, but I make a point to make purchases from my local shop when at all possible. When you are just getting started, this is an important piece of advice, IMHO.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:00 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Now I have time...............

See, I told you that the guys would provide answers / opinions to your questions. We have had a few new people post the same type question and I have replied that waiting until the class and seeing how you like the rod / reel combo they provide may be a good thing. If it works and works well it may make a good starter set up for you. At the end of the class you will be familiar with the gear you just used, why not continue on with them?

You will discover that a huge part of fly fishing is the gear market. I know from my own life experience what it is like to look at all those pictures of the really good equipment displayed with all those beautiful places & fish. It is very easy to believe that you can spend your way to success. It's a sort of Siren's song but rather than from the Sirens luring Odysseus and his men to the rocks it the song of the tackle industry and it's sung for us all. The reality of this craft is that it has about 10% to do with the rod & reel you use while the other 90% of the result will rely on what you know and your level of skill with whatever gear you have.

I like nice stuff, but there is still something to be said for starting at the bottom and working your way up. When a person is about to go fly fishing for the first time he or she is at the bottom regardless of gear. There is so much to know about fish, flies, casting, and rivers, that if you allow yourself to become too caught up in the tackle & gear acquisition game you may in fact believe what I first said here; that you can spend your way to success.

It's all about time; time on the creeks, streams, and rivers is the most valuable asset you can invest in this craft. If you go with both your eyes and mind wide open and study the intrinsics of each day out there your invested time will be well rewarded. I can sit at this computer key board and tell you this because I have placed so many thousand of hours into a long term trust in those places that I actually believe I know something So don't put the cart ahead of the horse, pay close attention to this class and then move ahead from there.

Welcome to the forum,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;