The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 04:48 PM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough
Question Preferred knot for Gel Spun backing to loop on flyline?

I'll post this question here. It's for heavy freshwater/light saltwater application. What would be the ideal loop knot to use for gel spun backing to attach to a looped fly line? Given Gel Spun's capacity to cut through flylines, should I double it up and tie a surgeons, non slip or bimini twist? I'd appreciate any tips, thanks.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:50 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Preferred knot for Gel Spun backing to loop on flyline?

If I were worried about it cutting the welded loop I would consider a couple remedies. 1: Cut off the vinyl loop and install a braided loop then use a couple nail knots to secure it. 2: if I really did not want to cut the loop off I would put one of my little braided connectors between the welded loop and the backing. If I went that way I would double the gel spun as you describe. If you are wondering what is 'my braided connector' look in here http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...spey-line.html

Some of the guys who have this down to a science will find this thread and help you if those 2 choices don't suit.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-03-2012, 08:33 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Double it up and do a Surgeon's Loop.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:10 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

this is what I did, under bps fly shop advise for my gelspun. and a friends rig who is going after bonefish soon.

step 1 the backing was tied in to a bimini twist loop about a foot open.

step 2 the backing loop was then tied into an albright knot at the endof the loop on the flyline. this gives it a super smooth feed. the ablity to undo the loop is unknown, we did this due to the thin gelspun backing to avoid cutting into the flyline.

hope this helps.. I could get a photo if you like. might be a few days however.