The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 10:28 PM

bluedunn is on a distinguished road
Default Heading to Missoula!

Fellow Fisherman,
My brother and I are heading to Missoula, MT. I just graduated and was accepted into Physical Therapy School this year! To add to it, I am getting married in September!!! I am so excited.

We wanted a memorable trip with minimal planning. We figured that we would drive overnight from Rapid City, SD to Missoula and start there. Open to travelling to UT, CO, and WY as well! We need to know where to fish!

We are up to fishing any sort of water, big or small, fast or slow. We like to see many different types of water including deep canyons or shallow stills! We are also experienced backpackers and do not mind hiking in either.

Please let me know where we should go! Private Message me if you would like, I will respect your 'secret spots'.
Thanks, we appreciate your help!
Old 05-04-2012, 02:58 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Heading to Missoula!

bluedunn: Since your coming into Missoula from Rapid City, I would suggest make a stop and hit the Bighorn River at Ft Smith, MT. There are a couple campgrounds in the area. I'll send you a PM on how to fish the horn if your interested.

Larry

Old 05-04-2012, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
bluedunn: Since your coming into Missoula from Rapid City, I would suggest make a stop and hit the Bighorn River at Ft Smith, MT. There are a couple campgrounds in the area. I'll send you a PM on how to fish the horn if your interested.

Larry
Love fishing the Bighorn! We can usually wade and still have a great day. Lots of fun!
The farthest we have made it into MT is Livingston fishing the Yellowstone. Got to see some beautiful fish!
Old 05-04-2012, 06:08 PM

Liphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud of

I just watched another Thread with a Video on Fishing The Missouri,I advise you watch it,you'll just have to add that to your list as well.

Brian
Old 05-04-2012, 07:16 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I think this is the video that Brian is referring to, and I believe this was shot on the Missouri below Holter Dam near Craig, MT.
The North American Fly Fishing Forum - Sipping Dry

Old 05-05-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
I think this is the video that Brian is referring to, and I believe this was shot on the Missouri below Holter Dam near Craig, MT.
The North American Fly Fishing Forum - Sipping Dry
WOW! We will add the Missouri to our list! What about mountain streams?
Old 05-05-2012, 05:01 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Bluedunn, what time of the year are you coming out? It sounds like you are making a big tour out of it, you said you are coming to Missoula to start, does that mean you are going to ball it straight here and then start fishing your back? Just curious because there is so much to fish in between Rapid and Missoula; you'll be crossing the Bighorn, Stillwater and Boulder (mountain streams) then along the Yellowstone, past the park and Beartooths (backpacker fishing heaven) right through Bozeman and plethora of option and finally to Missoula!

Mid-summer, I would avoid the park simply for the crowds.

Not to be rude, but the fact is Montana is huge, you know that, and the fishing options are incredible, so it is really pretty hard to give advice to a question like - "where should I fish in Montana?"

There is another thread on the forum called "Lewis and Hark's Montana adventure" or something like that. These guys have been planning their trip for quite a while and the Montana contingent of members has been advising on that. There is a lot of good advice there, you should read through that thread and then come back here when you have more of a plan formulated.

Good luck!
Old 05-05-2012, 06:13 PM

Liphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud of

Over the years I've watched many Videos on Fishing The North West,there's another Video I also watched the link below& posted on The thread below.

Fishing forums missouri river montana flyfishing video,it's on Page 2 in The Latest Forum Posts Section,posted by Hartman,it even shows one of them Wade Fishing.

Brian.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:39 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedunn View Post
WOW! We will add the Missouri to our list! What about mountain streams?
bluedunn: If you do decide to fish that part of the Missouri, I would highly recommend getting a copy of "Fly Fishing Montana's Missouri River by Trapper Badovinac. It is an excellent book that details the section of the Missouri river below Holter Dam, all the public access areas, camping areas, etc.
Amazon.com: Fly Fishing Montana's Missouri River (9781560372493): Trapper Badovinac: Books Amazon.com: Fly Fishing Montana's Missouri River (9781560372493): Trapper Badovinac: Books

Old 05-05-2012, 07:19 PM

Larry,I'm also a sucker for buying Books as I like to read about different places I want to Fish,I'll check it out,even though I have Hundreds on Flytying & Fishing,one of the best I've read about Western Flyfishing is by Bud Lilly.
Brian.