The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2012, 08:34 AM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice
Default Wright McGill S-curve rod????????????

Looking at a new Wright McGill S-curve rod (8'6" 4pc 4wt) and seriously contemplating buying one for a "behind the truck seat for unexpected opportunities" rod.

Just curious if anyone has seen, held, cast, or actually uses one before I click the "add to cart" button.

The rubber grip is one of my concerns. I've had poor luck with rubber grips on baitcasting rods in the past. The idea sounds good in theory (easy to clean/doesn't discolor), but I've found some of the ones I tried soon are missing chunks of (foam) rubber.
Granted, a fly rod wouldn't be subjected to a rod holder or the abuse a baitcasting rod sometimes faces (in my hands for catfishing), but I still find it a bit of a concern.

Any and all comments (good, bad, or indifferent) on the S-Curve rod would be appreciated.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:22 PM

two_nymph_rig is a jewel in the roughtwo_nymph_rig is a jewel in the roughtwo_nymph_rig is a jewel in the roughtwo_nymph_rig is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Wright McGill S-curve rod????????????

I bought one of the FlyGirl S-curve rods for my wife not long ago. Finally got a chance to use it the other night. Hers is the 8 ft, 5 weight. I am not sure how much the flygirl model varies other than the color, but I liked the way that it casted. I have heard nothing but good reviews, and for the price, it's hard to beat. The foam handle is not as soft as you would think, and it seems like it would hold up well over time.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:46 AM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

Thank you for the reply!

My main concern was the quality of the foam on the grip and it sounds like this may have a better quality foam than some companies put on the less expensive casting rods.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:09 PM

slapwater is on a distinguished road

The local Dicks Sporting Goods had these on their rack so I took a look. I didn't dissect them or even cast one but I think using the word "foam" for the handle isn't accurate. It is, or at least felt like, full on high density black rubber. Like the stuff tires are made of. It felt like it would be tough enough to stand up to some abuse but it also felt heavy and clunky in hand. The finish/color on the bottom section rod itself is also really interesting. It's got a textured look to it that I can't say I much cared for. I'd have to fish it to get a really good sense, but to be honest, my first impressions weren't high