The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2012, 05:34 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice
Default Ep Floating minnow.

does anyone know how to tie the ep floating minnow? they look killer.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:30 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Ep Floating minnow.

While I snag most my tutorials for free on-line, I have bought DVDs from Mike Schmidt of Angler's Choice flies. Since you seem to like working with the EP synth products, I would suggest paying the small fee and just getting the how-tos straight from Enrico Puglisi. I know that there is foam hidden under the EP fiber on the fly you're talking about, but other than that it just looks like a bendback design with an epoxy head. However, I would still recommend, if no SBSs show up, just purchasing them from EP himself.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 05-06-2012, 08:26 AM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

ive been considering just paying the 20 bucks but i was going to see if i couod get away with not.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:41 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Not diminishing the value of a video for instruction, but why not just purchase one of the flies & see how it's tied. It doesn't appear to be a complicated fly pattern. A $7 fly is not cheap but still less than the video.

Just guessing, but it looks like a strip of foam tied along the back of the hook shank, and extending back under that ep body would likely float it.

Edit: Here's something I found:
Quote:
The EP Floating Minnows work on the surface and look like a distressed baitfish. Tied with a prong weedguard on a Gamakatsu Finesse hook. Underneath the EP Fibers are foam discs to keep it afloat. Enrico Puglisi.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 05-06-2012, 11:49 AM

thanks you but there are alot of ep patterns i want to learn that would also be there. Btw every check out the fly tying dungeon. Not to promote anything on this site but it sells congo hair for 1.75 a packet. The stuff is identical to ep and comes with twice the material.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:15 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

I've bought from the Dungeon many times! Agreed, good stuff & a lot lower prices!
mcnerney likes this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 05-06-2012, 12:56 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassonfly View Post
thanks you but there are alot of ep patterns i want to learn that would also be there. Btw every check out the fly tying dungeon. Not to promote anything on this site but it sells congo hair for 1.75 a packet. The stuff is identical to ep and comes with twice the material.

No, it is not.

Still very good stuff, I have a bunch of it.

I find the EP stuff is easier to manage, and more consistent in the color.

Does that make it worth the huge price difference? I don't think so, but it's just not fair to say that Congo Hair and EP Fibers are the same stuff.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:20 PM

Perhaps you received a bad batch. I compared to two hand to hand and i could not see a difference. I do find that ep whicks water off just a bit better though.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:55 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassonfly View Post
Perhaps you received a bad batch. I compared to two hand to hand and i could not see a difference. I do find that ep whicks water off just a bit better though.
I don't think so since I have it from different orders.

I'm not saying it bad stuff, just not the same, and IMHO the EP stuff is a bit better. Just not better enough to be worth the huge cost to me.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:47 PM

oh heck yeah 1.75 vs 7.50