The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2012, 06:47 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold
Default Bloodhounds & fishing

Well after a winter of training Rufus the bloodhound for tracking, trailing, I decided to take him to the stream after being dragged thru the woods after him, He was following a trail my buddy set out & I figured he would be tired enough to just lay on the bank & let me fish. WHAT WAS I Thinking....
By the time I took 3 steps in the water he was howling up a storm. I decided to tie him to a closer tree so he could watch me & that didn't work either. Finally I just let him loose & he proceeded to wade out with me. Pretty cool I thought. Then he got bored & jumped up on me, which he never does normally, I stepped back & you guessed it, Down I went with 85lbs of puppy
(I swear he was laughing) bouncing around me. Well Me-0, fish-0, rufus-1..
We had a nice 1 hour ride home & he was dry by the time we got home, but I wasn't. From now on trailing training & fishing are definitely going to be separate trips.

Neil
Old 05-05-2012, 09:32 PM

siskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nice
Default Re: Bloodhounds & fishing

Hah that's great.
I've got a coonhound that I chase critters with and I'd never dream of taking him fishing. That boy will be a mile off blowing up the base of a tree and I'll be dragging a nine foot rod through the brush after him cursing and moaning and doing everything but fishing.
He's a good house dog but in the woods he's doing his thing.

Luckily the other dog is the best fishing dog ever.

Good luck with the training. Hounds are a lot of fun.

Steelheader's Anonymous.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:44 AM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

He was probably thinking that being wet was real entertainment and you might as well join in on the fun.
ope likes this.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:32 PM

db cooper has a spectacular aura aboutdb cooper has a spectacular aura about

Nice choice in companions...i also am a bloodhound man. He doesn't fish, but he can eat like hell! They have a sense of smell that is so strong...he knows what i am doing tomorrow!
mcnerney likes this.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:05 PM

ope is on a distinguished road

Our hound is known for tracking down box turtles, lollipops and sticks of butter... He's all about going fishing these days but he just grew out of puppyhood at 7 years of age.

Junebug is our oldest child and at 100 pounds, he's a gentle monster who sings a song only a bloodhound owner can love!

Suspect Rufus will be a mighty swimmer as he grows into those big webbed feet!

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:57 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Neil: Great story, thanks for sharing!

Old 05-06-2012, 08:34 PM

db cooper has a spectacular aura aboutdb cooper has a spectacular aura about

Nice lookin' pup! Ill get a picture of mine up in a few. He's 6 1/2 and tips the scales at just over 115lbs. Of course he carry's a bit of baggage like his old man! He's laying on the couch right next to me snoring and passing gas as i type...he had some left over Mexican food from the counter while i was out mowing the lawn! What can i say...the nose knows!
ope likes this.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:57 AM

Noiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really nice

Our mutt is very well behaved. She is super obedient, lays down low and watches us casting. It's almost like she appreciates what we're doing. All thanks to my gal's excellent training skills - and Delilah's amazing nature.
She loves the water more than anything yet still obeys.

Delilah smiling with her backpack. . .

My two favorite gals. . .
"By the time I was a teenager I fit the standard profile of a lifelong angler. I was lazy, shiftless, unambitious and willing to work hard only at things that were widely considered useless." ~John Gierach
Old 05-07-2012, 06:56 PM

ope is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by db cooper View Post
Nice lookin' pup! Ill get a picture of mine up in a few. He's 6 1/2 and tips the scales at just over 115lbs. Of course he carry's a bit of baggage like his old man! He's laying on the couch right next to me snoring and passing gas as i type...he had some left over Mexican food from the counter while i was out mowing the lawn! What can i say...the nose knows!
DB, you're right, The nose definitely knows... Junebug is notorious for gleaning snacks from the counter as well. His grossest offense was when he housed a whole chicken carcass while my wife and I were putting the munchkins to bed, (did wonders for his coat) but no other issues in that instance.

As a pup, he once "tracked" down the carefully wrapped box of Sees Candies my mom had sent from California from under the Christmas Tree... We came downstairs Christmas morning and although the other gifts had been "rearranged", the only one open had our hound pup finishing up the last morsels and empty wrappers all around him.

We've learned to be careful but those bloodhounds find snacks that you may overlook... You'd think they don't get fed.

Noiso, good looking pup! Instinct in our hounds makes it difficult for them to behave like your critter. Then again, her training is definitely part of your success.

-ope
Old 05-16-2012, 06:23 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Just a side note on this topic. I was up in GLS maine a few years ago & a guy brought a little Ciich , cic, aw hell one of those little Mexican dogs, out on the stream with him & put the little yapper on a sandbar behind him. He was throwing big streamers & was trying to reach across the river. You guessed it, He dropped his backcast & hooked the dog in the back. It was not a pretty sight, or a quiet one. but that's just another reason to leave fido behind.
mcnerney and Noiso like this.