The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2012, 10:34 PM

TexUte Fly will become famous soon enoughTexUte Fly will become famous soon enough
Default how often do you replace lines?

so my line has about 30-40 days on it (a day to me is 3-4 hours min) and been clean quite reg, but it is a year old. i bought one of those entry lines that was 30-40 bucks, seems to still work fine for my nymphing and ok for streamer tossing which i normally just roll cast so not very eager to change out, but when yall decide its time to change lines?
Old 05-05-2012, 10:39 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Re: how often do you replace lines?

I think it really has to do with how much you use it. I've had lines for several years, but I don't fish as much as I want to (like most other people). Unless I see some nicks or damage or I don't care for how the line feels, I usually keep it around.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:23 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I've been using some of my SA Mastery lines since the mid 90's and they are still catching fish. When I moved here to AK. I bought more 7, 8, and 9 weight lines beginning in 2004, all are still being used. The most recent lines are Spey lines, the oldest has three seasons on it and it is good as new. I don't know a better way to say this but.....you'll know when the line is shot. Just for the record, I have an Orvis SSS line I bought in 1986 and it is still good so either I've been lucky or they will last a long time.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-05-2012, 11:33 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Some of my lines will last over 100 fishing days. Some won't last more than 20. I have had shooting heads that were done within a day (snags). It all depends on the conditions that I fished them in and how often I cleaned them.

With that said, just keep fishing your lines until you notice a drastic change in performance.

Dennis
Old 05-06-2012, 06:39 AM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

I buy inexpensive lines for most of my fishing because they get abused a good bit. I shore fish a lot, and it's common for the line to lay on bare dirt & rocks and inevitably get stepped on a few times, twisted around shoreline weeds & brush, and the cheap (eBay) lines seem to last as long as the high dollar lines under those conditions.

I will fish a line until I see/feel damage (cuts or nicks in the finish most common), then switch to a new line. Some of them last a year or more, and a few have been replaced after one trip. Not the line's fault in most cases, just that it got rough treatment.

As for actual performance, I can see little difference in a $10 line compared to a $75 line under the conditions where I use them 99% of the time.
One of the worst lines I ever tried was a $75 line which had a factory defect (twisted core) and was quickly replaced by the manufacturer. The replacement was defective, too (blemish in the coating). It was again replaced by the manufacturer, but at that point I had more money in postage to return the defective lines than I would have had in an eBay line I usually buy.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:02 AM

ditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really nice

I just retired a Salt water taper 9wt Aircell Supreme which was the top of the line item when I bought it. It was purchased in the mid 70's but it has mostly been in storage over the years. I used it more last Jan and Feb that all the rest of the time I owned it. I went to clean it a couple of weeks ago and I found the head to be heavily cracked . I can't believe the thing would even float. My 8wt which is almost as old and appears to be just fine so far. Without abuse a good fly line appears to be able to last a loooooog time. Oh how I hate to have to buy a new line