The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2007, 11:43 PM

NewFlyFisher is on a distinguished road
Default Clarification/Recommendations on Sinking Line

As I have mentioned in another thread, I am fairly new at this sport. To date my experience is in using only floating line. I have, however, realized that to have success on some of the lakes/ponds or fast moving water on those days when the fish are feeding deeper, I am going to have to get my line down. From here is the confusion:

I have seen an endless number of products/methods to make this happen. To mention a few:
- Full sinking line
- Sinking tip lines (10 ft. or 30 ft or 24 ft tapered or.....heads)
- Tungsten leaders (10 ft or 15 ft or)
- Sink putty
- Weights
- Streamer line ???
- Shooting head
- etc.

To start with, I am planning to follow a plan that was put forward by fffg on another thread stating......"I second the add on sink tip.. Rio i think makes a 12 foot tip with ends that you put on yourself... that part is a pain.. but about 4-6 foot will make an execent starter add on sink tip.. youll need to leave enough room on the end of the reel to put it on, you dont need another spool, just put it on your dry line that you have, and take it off and putt in you kit/vest when not using it.. You can make a 4 foot and 8 foot sink tip out of the 12 foot line, but 8 foot would be too heavy for the 5 wt.. I have a 6 wt tfo pro that i use for backup when im having trouble or repairs with my z axis 6 wt.. It works just fine,.... dave..
In this way, I see being able to start with a minimum investment (using the same line and reel that I have on) and work my way from there.

If someone has comments to clarify where these different products/approaches are applicable I could sure use the clarification.

Thanks
Larry
Old 11-18-2007, 08:41 AM

MBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Clarification/Recommendations on Sinking Line

Orvis (?) makes a loop connector system sinking tip that you add on to your fly line between the line and the leader. It comes 2 per package, each a different sink rate. I have only used the Orvis tips for shad fishing a few times, but they worked quite well for me. Rio makes a similar product. I couldn't find a link to the Orvis product, but the Rio product is described here:

Fly Lines, Fly Leaders, and Fly Fishing Accessories - Rio Freshwater VersiLeaders

or available here (no minimum order, no shippling/handling charge):

Little River Outfitters :: Leaders/Tippet :: Leaders :: Rio Powerflex Core Sinking Leaders 7' for Trout 1pk

I used full sinking line one day on salt water with a guide and I have to say, for a relative casting newbie (me) picking up the line for a cast was a bear. I didn't have that problem with the sinking tip.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:07 AM

NewFlyFisher is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the input.

This pretty much supports my plan to use a product like this for my first attempt. I also appreciate the comment on the difficulties which a new caster might have using a full weighted line approach. By using the weighted leader, I could use a little further input on how to set this up.

Keeping in mind that I will primarily use this for trout (possible whitefish or goldeye) in small lakes/ponds or the occasional fast flowing stream:
- how does a person prep the back end of this?
- does a person use another leader or go straight to a longer tippet?
- or if a leader should be used, how long?...connect with a loop or knot?....does it need to be tapered or just use monofilament?....etc.
- how long should the tippet be?.....what type of connection to leader?

I hope I am not putting anyone off by asking all these questions. I have searched the forum quite extensively, however, am trying to validate that I am putting all the good info together correctly.

Thanks
Larry
Old 11-18-2007, 05:37 PM

MBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the rough

The Orvis sinking leader is ~7' long with loops at either end. Assuming you use a loop-to-loop connection between your fly line and your tapered leader all you would do is disconnect your leader from your fly line, make a loop-to-loop connection between the fly line and one end of the sinking leader, and make another loop-to-loop connection between the sinking leader and your tapered leader. Typically a 6-7' tapered leader should be sufficient; whatever you are currently using for a tapered leader is probably good to go with the sinking leader.

Regarding fishing faster & deeper rivers, personally, rather than using a sinking leader or sinking line I would start with a normal tapered leader, maybe go a bit longer if "normal" to you is 6-7', or even add some tippet to the tapered leader you have to up the length a bit, then add some serious weight ~12" above the fly, and simply let the weight put the fly near the bottom. A sinking leader would be my second choice, but only if absolutely needed.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:06 AM

OregonStreams is on a distinguished road

Larry... After weights, loop to loop sinking tips is a very economical way to go since not only do you save on a second line, but you also save on a second spool. It also means less stuff to carry. In some cases, you need to change your casting technique with sinking tips. If you are having trouble casting with sinking tip, sometimes you can use a roll cast first to get the line straightened out and then lift the line off the water for the "real" cast. Then save up your schekkels for a second spool and some clear sinking line for lakes.

Have fun!
Jeff