The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2012, 12:40 PM

nickrp is on a distinguished road
Default Newb Needs Waders!

Ok i have a $75 gift card to Sports Authority and i need some waders, budget style. Anyone have any experience with either of the below?? Thoughts? I live in SoCal, so yes we basically we dont have weather, just 4 seasons of summer, so breathability is key. All help would be appreciated.

Caddis Breathable Stockingfoot Chest Waders-Men's:

Caddis Breathable Stockingfoot Chest Waders-Men's - SportsAuthority.com

Caddis Deluxe Breathable Chest Waders-Men's:
Caddis Deluxe Breathable Chest Waders-Men's - SportsAuthority.com

PS. hope this is the right forum for this post.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:34 PM

cpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Newb Needs Waders!

I haven't tried the Caddis waders, but if I was choosing between the two I would go with the Deluxe wader. It is sometimes nice to have that extra protection in the knees and seat.

Reviews look ok. Mostly size issues.
Good Luck!
Old 05-07-2012, 09:45 PM
Business Member

tridentfly is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Newb Needs Waders!

I don't have any experience with the Caddis either, but I can tell you that they are highly unlikely to be very breathable.

I would, in fact, say that there are few waders that are truly "breathable". Why?

Most waders are built to be ultra-durable, which means lots of 5-layer fabrics, which are not very breathable. This is magnified in lower-priced waders which don't take advantage of high-end materials, which are more breathable.

If you do a lot of hiking, your only options to stay cool will be to wear a pack and change into your waders or use a zipper (Simms) or suspension (Patagonia).

All of this being said, my two recommendations for breathability (none within your pricepoint) are:
1. Simms G3
2. Patagonia Guidewater