The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2012, 12:02 AM

ak allen has a spectacular aura aboutak allen has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to ak allen
Default Re: why do you fly fish

Oh and Total Trout Domination! I like that casting with fly rods is a "whipping" motion, Whipping the fish butt!
Old 05-08-2012, 03:50 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

I know why I fly fishbut....I don't know why I still enjoy it after so many yearsA friend of mine told me I'm like a kid catching his first fish everytime I hook one
Rip Tide likes this.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:26 AM

Liphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud of

Because,not only is it fun it's very Challenging especially when you see them jumping clean out of The Water & working out what they are Feeding on as well as constantly changing Flies trying to hook one or maybe a couple more.

Last Saturday a couple of Sydney guys rang me at home to say that Big Browns had been jumping all afternoon & wanted to know what Flies to use,even though it was a flat out walk for over 30 minutes I caught up with them,tried heaps of Flies,had no Luck,I'm going back tomorrow,with heaps of other Flies,hopefully I'll get lucky & Tie the magic Fly on..
Brian.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:33 AM

ditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really nice

So I can lose flies so I and tie more flies
Old 05-08-2012, 08:44 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

To keep my sanity. In todays fast paced way of life its the best way (healthiest way) for me to slow down. Maybe gear guys feel the same but after a while I feel a connection to the fish and the river, getting to know all the different holding lies, the hatch times, the funny feeling I get when I pull into the parking lot and its empty. Its a class room out there that can teach you alot more than just how to fish. Its predictably unpredicable.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:47 AM

Liphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud of

Other reasons which I didn't mention like many others,to use The Flies I've tied & also to Tie Flies I've lost as well as to try & find that magic Pattern.
I have one Fly in my box which has caught 11 Fish,it's all smashed about however it would still catch fish.

Brian
Old 05-08-2012, 08:50 AM

logic_factory is on a distinguished road

to echo a couple aforementioned reasons; disconnect from reality, fly fishing typically places one in remote, pristine and beautiful places, i find mayfly's and trout to be the most beautiful species within their respected classes; sorry stones and caddies i still like you and respect your niche in ecosystems but mayflies edged you out.

i had an outstanding mentor for fly fishing and it made the job a little easier for me than most. i also wanted to relate more with my father, the entomologist, so at an earlier age than some i started learning about the 3 orders that pertain most to fly fisherman. i did this on my own accord and had a difficult time trying to find people to relate with on the level i wanted. i spent a lot of time reading and observing my 35 gallon, self sustained(did use an air-rater) ecosystem with populations of caddies, stones and mayfly's. finding validation for the time i invested was demoralizing so i started to fly fish less and less and look for other avocations.

this quest for networking has brought me through a couple popular channels. what brought me back here for the long haul is the fly fishing community as a whole. i will contend that the friendships/networks formed in fly fishing tend to be more pure than most. i have experienced few inconsiderate fly fisherman. i think part of the explanation lies in that fly fishing is viewed as the epitome of fishing. this perception typically appeals to the more hardcore anglers that have evolved their fishing to this form of presentation. there is also an element of professionalism that i could build on but in the interest of time i will not.

it is my opinion that fly fisherman have a more pure passion. what i am attempting to describe is, the motivation within most fly fisherman is not selfish but rather more utilitarianism orientated (philosophy teacher would be proud; english...not so much). most other sports have passion but often there is some materialistic objective. i think most fly fisherman choose this path for similar reasons that is why most observe leave no trace practices and catch and release. there is a sense to preserve what beauty most of us see in this pastime.

i have some prior commitments i have to uphold but i may come back and build upon this post a little.
stenacron likes this.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:01 AM

jhammer has a spectacular aura aboutjhammer has a spectacular aura about

I fly fish for many reasons. I love the challenge and the rewards. I have done it for many years and dedicated myself to learning as much as I can about the sport. I also love the scientific angles of it such as physics, fish behavior, diet, etc. It's definitely my main passion in life. I find it very relaxing and therapeutic as well. (Usually! LOL!) It's an outlet for my stresses of daily life. I've began to lean on it especially hard since I found out I have Parkinson's. It helps me to forget about the daily issues I have and better cope with it. I also find that it is a great therapy tool as well since the casting motions help with the rigidity in my arm. All in all, I just plain love to do it.
wt bash likes this.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:44 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Colin,

Your question is one that many of us have waxed poetic upon as it surfaces occasionally. By the sounds of it you have arrived at quite a common answer as to what you're really doing out there. Think of it as time spent learning about yourself as well as all that surrounds you. And by all means, keep posting with us

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-08-2012, 02:30 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Because I like to do things the hard way

Also its just rewarding tieing your own flies and catching fish on them, its more of a challange to cst accuratly and present the fly realisticly, its just plain enjoyable.

Storm Drain Bonefisher