The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2012, 08:52 PM

colin272 is on a distinguished road
Default why do you fly fish

why do you fly fish? a question i have been asked many times and my responses have differed. everything from i catch more fish to its more of a challenge, and every time i have had someone come back with a response from you catch smaller fish to its not really that hard. to set the scene, i am 22 i am a husband and a soon to be father my wife is six months pregnant i am an EMT and volunteer fire fighter, i am also finishing up getting my paramedic license. so i have been working my normal schedual which is 24 on 48 off then i am also do ride time on my days off then when i am home im going to dr appointments and running extra calls and doing training for my fire department. i also haven't had more then 6 hours off. so today i was off for all 24 hours and after doing my duties as a husband i was able to slip out of the house for an hour to fish as i was walking down to the lake to fish i had a million ideas running through my head about the bad calls i had had at work, how to be more supportive husband, ext. As i started fishing everything slipped away i was focused on my cast. I didn't keep track of fish size or number. all i know is that it was a good night i think i spent more time taking fish off then casting. anyway get back on track i realized that why i fish is probably why some people drink or do drugs its to just fade away and become and become one with nature which i know is corny to say but it is really how i feel. so now i feel relaxed and ready to handle life again. well its back to work for me tomorrow. i hope that everyone gets a chance to have an experience like this.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:00 PM

fishnskiguy has a spectacular aura aboutfishnskiguy has a spectacular aura aboutfishnskiguy has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: why do you fly fish

Why do I fly fish?

I guess it's for the same reason I start evey sentence with a capital letter and use I instead of i when refering to me.

It's traditional, and feels good and proper.

Chris

---------- Post added at 08:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 PM ----------

Not to rub it in, but I use paragraph breaks to make the reading easier.

Again, just making suggestions.

Chris
grassonfly likes this.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:05 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

To enjoy nature and to disconnect.
Plus I am a gear junkie and enjoy anything that has to do with the sport.
Plus I think trout are the best and most beautiful fish in the world.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:33 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghocevar View Post
To enjoy nature and to disconnect.
Plus I am a gear junkie and enjoy anything that has to do with the sport.
Plus I think trout are the best and most beautiful fish in the world.
+1.

The biggest reason for me is to disconnect from work and whatever else is on my mind-- enjoy the sound of the stream and soak in the scenery. Me and my bud have been doing a spring fishing trip for somewhere around 13 years or so but have fished together for maybe 18 or so years. Enjoying good company is another bonus for me. I too am a gear junkie and enjoy collecting gear, flies, etc but really disconnecting as mentioned before is what it's all about. Good for my mental health and something that's become a real passion.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:38 PM

txshane has a spectacular aura abouttxshane has a spectacular aura abouttxshane has a spectacular aura about

Because it's fun.

Fly fishing is more real to me than fishing with hardware, and it's more civilized than dunking bait. The rhythm and art of the cast.....the satisfaction of using a rod I made and a fly I tied.....it's hard to describe it all. It's just fun.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:56 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

I guess I fish in general partly for the escape it provides. When I'm fishing, I don't think of anything other than what it's going to take to dupe that next fish. Don't get me wrong, I have a very good life and a wonderful family, but my career can be a pressure-cooker at times and it's nice to have something else to fully immerse myself in to recharge the batteries once in a while.

I also prefer to actively pursue fish, and fly-fishing is a nothing if not a constant flow of motion. I was never very good at sitting and waiting for anything… so stalking a stream is a good fit for me.

Thirdly - I enjoy a challenge, and fly-fishing can be as challenging as you want to make it. By just limiting your personal criteria you can make things incredibly difficult (if that's what you enjoy). A dry fly purist for example - they could fish other methods and perhaps take more and bigger fish… but it cheapens the experience for them. Good for them (although that extreme is not quite for me).

And I guess finally, I have a bit of an artistic/creative side, and everything about fly-fishing energizes me from the history, the writing, and the illustrations, to the bodies of water where wild fish live and the wide-ranging natural scenes that surround them. My passion for fly-tying further feeds into this and brings along its own history of art and impressionism.

I'm sure there countless other reasons why I love to fly-fish, but I guess the above represents the primary drivers.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 05-07-2012, 10:37 PM

ak allen has a spectacular aura aboutak allen has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to ak allen

Because it's fun.

I don't really know why, I just enjoy it. And once I caught a fish on a fly I tied it was over. I swear the fish was the one that got "hooked" but my wife thinks different.

In hunting I enjoy the tech advantage, I don't shoot longbow or recurve, I shoot compounds. I don't shoot black powder, I shoot magnums. But fishing, I'll take the fly rod any day over spinning, or baitcasters. I don't want a plastic lure, I want a feather/hair fly I tied.

My dad is a great fisherman, makes a name for himself everywhere he fishes. Slays the salmon and steelhead in Michigan, the crappie in Indiana, and Florida. He doesn't care for the fly rod, and in fact jokingly calls me a "fly dick". I guess I hope at one day out fishing him knowing that I made my flys, and did it all myself. I grew up competitive like that, and I like that I can do it myself and do it better. I like that I can tie a pattern by the book, or just invent some crazy off the wall pattern. I like that by doing so, I can "go against the flow". It helps when the last 10 years of my life has been to follow the flow in the Army. Instead of doing it the way rapalas, or berkleys thinks I should, I can do it my way, and decide for myself what will work best.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:47 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

Destiny.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:59 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

Relaxation. Satisfaction. Gratification. Challenge. Excitement.

These words, and all that they really mean, all come to mind.

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 05-07-2012, 11:10 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: why do you fly fish

I like visiting the picturesque places where fish live.
I like wading around in the water without appearing childish
I like wearing funny hats
wt bash and vtcharlie like this.