The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2012, 12:58 AM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold
Default Disgusting!

Today I was fishing at one of my favorite warm water lakes that's about 40 miles away when I stumbled upon this disgusting sight. I immediately knew that this was close to a state record, or could have been within the next few months. To say that I was horrified would be an understatement. I weighed an measured it at proximately 24 inches and 8 lbs 5 oz with no guts, the state record is 10 lbs 11oz. I am certain that these are cuts from a knife and not a propeller, considering that this is a no wake lake and most boats put in are canoes or aluminum row boats. It really makes you wonder what the heck people are thinking.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Some people.

Last edited by chased; 05-08-2012 at 02:00 AM.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:51 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future
Default Re: Disgusting!

Isn't it possible that a prop really did cause this? Wakeless waters just means if you use a motor you can't produce a wake. The prop still is going to turn. If it was any faster, your fish might have been totally cut up. But that's just a guess on my part.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:11 AM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

Given the precision of the cuts, like a sharp knife, I'd venture that was a thinner blade prop, like that found on an electric trolling motor. While on an EMS call a number of years ago, I saw the damage that one of them can do on a human arm once (someone repairing one in his garage), and if I hadn't seen the motor and battery sitting there, I would have presumed that the injury was caused by a knife fight.

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 05-08-2012, 06:20 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

wouldn't the fish have had to be swimming upside down for a prop to do that??
Gary
Old 05-08-2012, 06:32 AM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

Two other possibilities,:

1) Swimming near the surface, and the blade actually passed under him.
2) As the prop moves forward, it actually "pulls" water in front of it back into the prop, and the water starts to swirl, even in front of the prop. This couls cause a fish to get pulled into the propand as he's swimmig away, the body gets pulled sideways into the prop, exposing the belly.

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 05-08-2012, 08:04 AM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

I'd prefer to think a prop did the deed, but it's possible someone mutilated it on purpose.

I saw a few things this weekend that I didn't approve of.
-A BIG (guessing 7#+ lm bass floating belly up in the local lake?
-A nice bass (probably 5#) caught, put on a stringer, and taken home by an angler. (There's a 15" minimum size on the local lake - big bass aren't all that common there. Plus the water is very warm and fish aren't that great for eating now.)
-A small channel cat (probably from last year's stocking) thrown on the bank to die.
-A group of teenagers fishing and a pile of trash (bait containers, pop bottles, & fast food containers) left on the bank when they departed. (I couldn't swear they brought it in and left it, it could have already been there when they arrived. - I DID get their license number and report it to the park ranger so he could watch them in the future, though. ) I often pick up the trash & drop it in the dumpster at the park office, but I didn't have a big enough trash bag with me!
Old 05-08-2012, 09:35 AM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

A prop may have done this, but I highly doubt it. The cuts looked too clean and there was a clean cut down the belly as well.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:19 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Do you have any Osprey or other birds of prey around there. If it were a juvenile or young of the year it could have been a grab, slip, and then the bird only ate some of the vitals before it was spooked off. Just a theory.