The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2012, 04:47 PM

colin272 is on a distinguished road
Default Michigan getaway

Hey guys I need some help again. My wife and I are trying to plan a small getaway before our child is born. My wife tells me they are called babymoons. I do not know about all that. Anyway we are trying to find a nice place to go wear we have never been before. She mentioned maybe going to Michigan. I would really like to be able to sneak in a little fishing and she is ok with that. We are looking for a nice lodge that we can stay in and she would like to do some other stuff. She is ok with a little hiking, but she really wants to be able to get a massage and maybe do some shopping. I know this a long list of request but any help would be great it doesn't have to be Michigan we live by St. Louis we just don't want to travel to far from home. Thank you for all your help.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:15 PM

db cooper has a spectacular aura aboutdb cooper has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Michigan getaway

You want to go to Traverse City Michigan...trust me. All the girl stuff she could want, awesome natural beeches and lake views, and some of the finest trout fishing in the country right around the corner! About 6 hours from St. Louis. Traverse City Michigan is a artsy metropolitan city with almost no crime, 5 star dining and all the shopping anyone could want.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:51 PM

ak allen has a spectacular aura aboutak allen has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to ak allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by db cooper View Post
You want to go to Traverse City Michigan...trust me. All the girl stuff she could want, awesome natural beeches and lake views, and some of the finest trout fishing in the country right around the corner! About 6 hours from St. Louis. Traverse City Michigan is a artsy metropolitan city with almost no crime, 5 star dining and all the shopping anyone could want.
Agreed. And if there is any room for fishing you are relatively close to the Au Sable, and Manistee rivers which both offer excellent fishing!
Old 05-08-2012, 06:10 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

x3 for Traverse City. Beautiful part of the country, nice town, and rivers. That would be my recommendation if it works for you guys.

If you wanted to drive less or be near a larger town then I'd say Grand Rapids / Holland area. Grand Haven and Saugatuck (north and south of Holland) are nice little towns on Lake Michigan and metro Grand Rapids will have whatever you'd need. Trout steams would be fewer than up north but they're there. TU just did a show on the Rouge running through Rockford north of GR.

Heading back to Michigan end of this month and will do some fishing in the Grand Rapids area with my buddy. Looking forward to it!
Old 05-08-2012, 07:18 PM

aquaticsanonymous is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak allen View Post
Agreed. And if there is any room for fishing you are relatively close to the Au Sable, and Manistee rivers which both offer excellent fishing!
I will third Traverse City. It is truly a place where your wife can enjoy nice shopping, it's a very safe city, and there is also awesome fishing nearby. It is where alot of us Michiganders take our wife's for anniversaries.

Holland as suggested would also be nice, close to Grand Rapids, and alot to do there as well.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:44 AM
Business Member

allenflyfishing is a glorious beacon of lightallenflyfishing is a glorious beacon of lightallenflyfishing is a glorious beacon of lightallenflyfishing is a glorious beacon of lightallenflyfishing is a glorious beacon of light

Hello, I would suggest Mackinac Island if you don't mind driving to the UP. I moved to MI last year and my wife took me there for a along weekend. It's funny you said babymoon. My wife said the same thing. I finally took some time off and were doing our "Babymoon" this week. If you don't want to drive to the UP. I would also suggest Traverse City.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:12 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

I'd go with Traverse City, shopping and pampering for the wife; fishing opportunity galore for you. The Boardman; birthplace of the Adams, is right there and you also have flats style fishing for Smallies and Carp.

Dan