The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2012, 01:09 PM

stanbiker has a spectacular aura aboutstanbiker has a spectacular aura about

I really like Joni's leaders for nymphing. If you use an indicator, it doesn't kink the line. The biggest benefit for me is that when you break off, which happens often for me, it always breaks at the ring. That makes it really easy to tie on tippet without having you leader get shorter. They do get knots in the when they fly back when the tippet breaks if there is a lot of pressure on the line. The knots are harder to untangle than mono leaders are at least for me.

This reminds me that I need to order more for the new reels.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:46 PM

two_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: is a furled leader for me?

I think I will probably just stick with my tapered leaders. I do not do much dry fishing, and most of my nymphin is very short casts, with the two nymphs and the weight, I do mostly the chuck and duck style of fly fishing. If I get another reel set up just for dries, then I will for sure get a furled leader
Old 05-10-2012, 10:23 AM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to behold

First off, yes, furled leaders can be used with Thing-a-ma-bobbers. Furled leaders made from mono or fluoro will kink more easily than that of thread. This one of the many benefits of thread furled leaders, indicators do not kink the leaders at all. We offer a hybrid which is thread and then changes over to a spectra braid. Very strong, but does not kink. Great leader for use with a indicator. If throwing very heavy weighted flies, you may want to go with a mono furled leader as they do provide a little more turn over power for heavy flies.

We now hand craft mono & Fluoro Furled leaders as well as the standard thread leaders we began with.

If you have any other questions, I am more than happy to answer what I can. Contact info below.

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Old 05-10-2012, 10:54 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SdDryFly View Post
I think I will probably just stick with my tapered leaders. I do not do much dry fishing, and most of my nymphing is very short casts, with the two nymphs and the weight, I do mostly the chuck and duck style of fly fishing. If I get another reel set up just for dries, then I will for sure get a furled leader
Another option.. don't use a tapered leader for this type of nymphing.

Depending on what your end tippet needs to be

Just start with 6 feet of 1-3x, add 18" of one size down, tie on top fly, use one size down for the dropper.

I put the weight(s) if needed, right at the knot from the 6 foot piece to the 18" piece, it won't slip that way
Old 05-10-2012, 12:20 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhayden View Post
Another option.. don't use a tapered leader for this type of nymphing.

Depending on what your end tippet needs to be

Just start with 6 feet of 1-3x, add 18" of one size down, tie on top fly, use one size down for the dropper.

I put the weight(s) if needed, right at the knot from the 6 foot piece to the 18" piece, it won't slip that way
Right on , Save the money for a tapered leader & stop for a cool one on the way home. I make & sell my own furled leaders & have never had one come back, even the experimental ones. Some materials, lengths, & tapers are better for different situations but for general fishing I use a 5' mono taper. It sinks while nymphing & with a little dressing will float for a while. Mono has a lot of stretch & I think it gives a softer hookset & absorbs more shock when you get a big fish. I also make them out of Fluro, Tying thread & kevlar in different colors & lengths. In fact we have tried quite a few different materials but I like the Camomono 5' the best for all around fishing. Once you try one you might never go back to a plain ol tapered leader. I have used Joni's & Cutthroat's leaders & liked them so you can't go wrong with either of them.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:25 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

What is the advantage of furled leaders relative to braided leaders such as Orvis has long marketed for dry fly fishing specificly? And, again, how uniform is the energy transfer from tip of line to butt of leader in say a 5-weight outfit?
Old 05-11-2012, 10:07 AM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

I think Braided leaders are hollow & I know they pick up water. Most furled leaders don't pick up much more than a tapered leader, again depending on material, twist etc. You can roll out a 10' tapered furled leader by hand so they transfer energy well, You can change tippets easily if you have a shorb loop on the business end ( loop to loop) & knot if they have a tippet ring & they last at least a season & maybe longer. Depending on the material they are more abrasion resistant & won't fray.