The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2012, 06:53 PM

two_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of light
Default is a furled leader for me?

I am sick of getting curls and knots in my mono leaders. I have been thinking about going with a furled leader after what I have read about them. How do these work with a strike indicator such as a thingamabobber? I do a lot of nymphing with two flies, weight, and an indicator, so i would like to use a leader that doesn't not get tangled as easy. Please help me out.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:37 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: is a furled leader for me?

My preference for nymphing is hand tied leaders. I use Maxima Chameleon for the butt, sometimes will add some Amnesia for the butt on trout leaders and always for my steelie leaders. Then I tie on flouro for the tippet sections. This seems to help get the fly down and adds the abrasion resistance I'm looking for. If I don't have a hand tied one, then I'll use a tapered one and just modify the tippet section with flouro.

At least for me, furled leaders seem to be more ideally suited for dries thought I have not nymphed with them to really give my feedback on that. For dries, furled leaders REALLY shine IMHO. My disclaimer is that I'm basing my opinion on my limited use with them, so I may not be the best to respond. I do know though that either option I mentioned above has always served me well.

I guess another question to ask is...what kind of leader are you using now?
Old 05-08-2012, 08:58 PM

two_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of light

Just using your basic tapered leader right now. not sure of brand or any specifics as the package is laying in the garage.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:01 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I use a furled leader when nymphing. I love it for dries but find weighted nymph rigs don't cast that great to begin with so rather than switching off my whole leader when I move to nymphs, just adjust the tippet as needed. It works fine with the strike indicator. If your tippet is long enough it doesn't even go on the leader, otherwise you can feed it through the indicator just like mono. I use Joni's leaders (she's on the site and I love the rings she puts in the tippet end of them) as well as Quiggley's furled leaders. Cutthroat leaders is a sponsor of the site, though I personally haven't used them. They do have ones designed for nymphing though.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:51 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

I have used furled leaders for a while, specifically Joni's, and her kevlar leaders do work for nymphing. But I really like furled for dries, and mono leaders for nymphing.

For most of my stillwater nymphing, I have been using an intermediate sinking line, I perfection loop a piece of 6 inches of .22 inch frogs hair shooting line to my fly line, then tie that to 8 feet of 8lb or 10lb mono (back to back nail knots with the tie-fast tool), and add 2 to 3 feet of 4lb flouro for tippet (double or triple surgeons knot).

I always have one of Joni's furled leaders on the floating line reel though, just in case the fish start rising.

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:10 AM

smalliesrule has a spectacular aura aboutsmalliesrule has a spectacular aura aboutsmalliesrule has a spectacular aura about

I've been using furled leaders for several years now. I use them for all situations- whether nyphing or dries. I ordered the Cutthroat Brown Trout kit a few months ago. It's 2 nymph leaders with strike indicator attached, and a dry fly leader. They are top quality leaders and I'd recommend them to anyone.

Stan
Old 05-09-2012, 08:43 AM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

Since I started using furled leaders I've never went back to tapered mono. I agree with other posts, dry fly fishing is where furled leaders really shine, however I use furled leaders whether I'm using drys, nymphs, or streamers. They seem to handle anything I throw at them.
I've used both Quigley's and Joni's leaders, and while both were excellent quality, I prefer to purchase from Joni. She does a superb job of matching her leaders to your application. I've never had one of her leaders fail in any way, plus you'll be supporting a member of this site.
I highly recommend giving furls a shot. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 05-09-2012, 10:08 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Joni and Cutthroat, I asuusme you are looping your furled leader onto the welded loop now prevelant on most new fly lines. When matching say a 5-weight rig, does the interface between line and furled leader form a uniform curve or is there a mass discrepency at this looped juncture?
Old 05-09-2012, 10:46 AM

fishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the rough

I have been making my own furled leaders for three years now. As stated above, they really show their stuff when casting dries.

Let's face it. Two flies, a hunk of lead and a strike indicator will never cast like a thing of beauty regardless of the leader.

The only advantage a furled leader brings to nymphing, is that when you take off the thingamabobber, there will be no permanent kink in the leader since a uni thread furled leader has no memory whatsoever.

Chris

---------- Post added at 09:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
Joni and Cutthroat, I asuusme you are looping your furled leader onto the welded loop now prevelant on most new fly lines. When matching say a 5-weight rig, does the interface between line and furled leader form a uniform curve or is there a mass discrepency at this looped juncture?
I'm not Joni or Cutthroat, but I do use furled leaders exclusively. I cut the welded loop off all my new fly lines and soak the first two inches of the fly line in acetone and strip off the plastic coating. I then make a loop with the core, and use my fly tying bobbin and 6/0 unithread to whip finish a ramp taper from the core up to the plastic coated line. Then a dab of superglue and I'm done.

Then I loop to loop this to the furled leader. This is the only leader to line connector I have found that will easily come through the small guides on my 1940s-1950s bamboo rods.

This rig turns over beautifully, mainly because the leader is so supple. I never could figure out why folks want a nice supple fly line and then put on a leader with a butt section as stiff as a broomstick. Makes no sense.

I fish only 4,5,and 6wt.rods. Any and all the various furled tapers and lengths I make work equally well on all my rods.

Chris
Old 05-09-2012, 11:26 AM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by SdDryFly View Post

How do these work with a strike indicator such as a thingamabobber? I do a lot of nymphing with two flies, weight, and an indicator, so i would like to use a leader that doesn't not get tangled as easy.
fishnskiguy is spot on… those "bottom bouncer" rigs would be better cast with a baitcaster or spinning rod more so than a fly rod IMO. A furled leader is not going to turn over a bobber and sinker combo.

I watched a guy tie up one of those rigs last spring, and it looked to me like he tied a length of heavy mono from the fly line to the bobber…. and then a long "tippet" section (non-tapered mono as well) from the bobber to the sinkers. No real taper whatsoever, but he was really rigging up for lobbing as opposed to casting so I think it works out well enough in that case.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring