The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2012, 07:15 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: "I think we're going to need a bigger boat."

Wow A Real beauty,A Lovely Fish,Top Story,as This Seasons Largest Brown for me is 26 1/2 inches, although I'm still hoping to catch a larger one.
I've also read it a couple of times,also What is a Lenny's Special Light???
Brian.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:36 AM

chi_fly is on a distinguished road

That is a monster! Great job landing that guy!
Old 05-09-2012, 11:49 AM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

Absolutely incredible pic of that fish going nuts in your lap. Very very great story!
Old 05-09-2012, 12:48 PM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

Bravo! Great story, great fish! Thanks for sharing.
Congratulations.

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 05-09-2012, 12:59 PM

stanbiker has a spectacular aura aboutstanbiker has a spectacular aura about

Excellent story! Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:09 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liphookedau View Post
Wow A Real beauty,A Lovely Fish,Top Story,as This Seasons Largest Brown for me is 26 1/2 inches, although I'm still hoping to catch a larger one.
I've also read it a couple of times,also What is a Lenny's Special Light???
Brian.
Thanks for the compliments, everyone. I'm nearly as proud of the story now as I am of the fish.

A LSLite is a modified bugger pattern a fishing buddy of mine came up with last year. The original LS was a huge thing with a thick body. Might weigh in at slightly over a quarter ounce. I asked him during the offseason to tie me a few "Lite" versions, slightly less massive for creeks.

I'm not sure if he wants the recipe out there, so pardon me if I just give you the basic mods.

The color used to catch this fish was a burnt orange, tail slightly darker than body, slightly longer than normal. Tungsten wire wrapped down the hook shank, I think. Tapered body. Tungsten gold cone head. There's some kind of flash in the body, slightly greenish, which mimics the color of the spring crawdads here in many of AZ lakes.

I don't have a close up pic of it, but one is hanging from my fly patch in one of the photos. That one might be a magnum, though. Anyway, I've been fairly successful with some version of the LS this year, with at least 75% of my browns landed using this fly.

Oh, and it's ridiculously durable; I've got one that looks nearly pristine after over 30 fish caught on it.

Peace.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old 05-11-2012, 04:52 PM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice

Holy ****!! Your lucky he didnt swamp your floatie!
Old 05-11-2012, 06:51 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

One word: GINORMOUS ! What a story . What a fish. I'll take a month of skunks for that one on a 5wt! Congrats!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 05-11-2012, 07:03 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Great fish Rich! And an even better account of the trip and the fight, which make the fish itself that much more impressive! And as a diver, I love the fins you've got strapped on, those are the kind you see for miles

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 05-12-2012, 09:10 AM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

Love the first pic! Your expression is priceless. Grats on your beautiful and huge fish. Glad you had a good day on Sat.

My luck went the other way. I went on my John Day river float that weekend and Sat was a very bad day for us.

Great pics Rangerrich.