The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2012, 07:33 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all
Default "I think we're going to need a bigger boat."

I should start this story by saying I'd been skunked two days in a row. So, I was a bit frustrated.

So when a buddy of mine, Muzz, asks me if I want to go fishing for the weekend up north during the "super" moon, I hesitated. Apparently, this weekend the full moon would be bigger and brighter than any we've had in a thousand years or whatever. This will most assuredly get the fish into a wild feeding frenzy. I think about this for about 0.1 seconds before deciding that fishing would be medicinal.

So we head up late Friday afternoon. We don't arrive at the campground until way after oh-dark-thirty. We set up camp, then get rigged up and hike up and down the bank for a few hours, chucking large dark colored flies and mice at splashy rises in the 'super' moonlight.

Nothing. Zero. Zilch. Nada. Less than one. None. No way, Jose. Goose eggs. SKUNK.

So, just a couple hours before dawn, we hike back to camp and grab a bit of shut eye.

The morning brings wind. Not breeze. Wind. Cold. Wind. Thank God for coffee.

Mike catches his first fish trolling a hopper. Right, I think. This is going to be easy.

More skunk is immediately served onto my tube. Not even a nibble between 7 am and 3 pm. 19 flies are alternately tied onto then clipped off of my tippet. In fact, new tippet must be tied onto my leader, so many flies are subjected to fruitless dunking hour after hour.

Finally, I've had enough. I switch to a sink tip and tie on a Lenny's Special Lite. I kick towards a rock I know harbors no life whatever. I cast. The wind kicks up as I release the line, throwing it away from yon stone. I get a snarl in my fly line and mumble words of potent evil magic.

I finally get the snarl un-snarled and give it a quick double twitch. The fly comes to an immediate halt. I've hung the bottom. Of course. I continue my incantations of as many four letter words as I can remember. I invent three. I'm kicking back towards my fly when the bottom starts to pull southerly. I am a bit confused, and stop kicking. I lift the rodtip and pull firmly on the line.

The bottom begins to throb. Then it banks left. I start fighting. Muzz asks me if it's a good fish. "Think so. Maybe a really springy tree branch."

One minute goes by and I can't get the bottom to come up to the surface.

Two minutes.

Three. Finally the bottom begins to rise. I can feel it shaking its head and twisting down there. Sucker? I caught one in almost the very same spot last year .

4 minutes. I see color. Something pale yellow. Sucker. It comes within three feet of the surface then heads back down. It takes nearly another minute to get it back near the top. I see spots. And a shark-like dorsal fin. Do suckers have shark-like dorsal fins? It goes by Muzz, who says, "what the heck is that?"

Click the image to open in full size.

It's the world's heaviest yoyo, I think, as the fish dives back for the bottom.

6 minutes. This hurts. And my 5 wt. plus the 6 lb. tippet I've got tied on is not helping me control this fish one bit. But it's slowly tiring. She's not heading so deep anymore. Bit by bit, I gain an advantage.

7 minutes. The fish, whatever it is, must be tiring. He/she/it swims around me several times, shrugging off my best efforts to bring to either net. Then it happens.

I threaten Muzz with unspeakable horrors if he doesn't grab that fish's tail as it thunders by him. Most of this must have been in my head, as he only remembers me screaming, "grab its tail! Grab it!"

He does. And I owe him my firstborn child and a case of beer on his birthday the rest of my life.

A very hasty measurement teleports me into the surreal. Close cousin to Alice's.

At least 30 inches. Possibly as much as 32.

What a way to get rid of the skunk.

That's the end of this report, except the pictures. I'll let them speak for themselves.

Peace.

chi flyfisher likes this.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old 05-08-2012, 07:47 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future
Default Re: "I think we're going to need a bigger boat."

Outstanding! I'd say you need a bigger net, more than a bigger boat or tube.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:48 PM

aquaticsanonymous is on a distinguished road

Wow! That's all I'm gonna say, WOW!!!!!:thmbu p:
Old 05-08-2012, 07:55 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Now that is one heck of a way to beat off the skunk! Congrats on an outstanding fish............the rest of us can only dream of landing a fish like that! Loved your report!

Old 05-08-2012, 08:35 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Now THAT'S a report!
Gary
Old 05-08-2012, 11:23 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Post of the year candidate right there! Superb! milt.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:37 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

The story was great, the fish was huge, I read it twice Rich.

Way to go,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-09-2012, 06:13 AM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

WOW!!!! <That about sums it up!>

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 05-09-2012, 06:44 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Holy Cow!! You'll remember that fish the rest of your life. Awesome report too. Good chance I'll be remembering too!! Congratulations!! Thanks for sharing!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 05-09-2012, 07:12 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Now that is what I call a skunkbuster! Nice story, nice fish.

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.