The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2012, 07:46 PM

aquaticsanonymous is on a distinguished road
Default Online Source for flyting materials

Hey guys, I did a search and couldn't find any results from previous results regarding a source which members use for purchasing fly tying materials online. I would love to be able to purchase materials from a local shop, however, I am a good distance from any shop. An outdoor shop near me has a very limited amount of supplies. Thanks for any help.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:03 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Online Source for flyting materials

I like J Stockard, Feather-Craft, Fly Tiers Dungeon has very good prices, but they are extremely limited in what they sell.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:29 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

+1 for J Stockard and Feather-Craft. I also like Hook & Hackle and FishUSA specifically for Steelhead materials. Blue Ribbon Flies is also another I've ordered from. All of these have been top notch for me.

Feather-Craft has an outstanding selection of just about everything and great quality materials. J Stockard has a slightly more limited selection but similar quality. When I say slightly, I mean very slightly. They still have tons of great stuff. Love the monthly promotions they have and the Frequent Tier program. CS is top notch. Hook & Hackle has a wide variety of materials and very reasonable prices on in particular on their own brand.

Blue Ribbon flies has excellent quality materials. Love their Elk Hair and Deer hair.

One thing to think about...different shops have materials that I prefer, so I tend to spread things around. Always my preference to see a cape or neck before I buy it, but I can understand that it's not an option for you.

Are there specific materials you're looking for? If so, mention them and maybe you'll get a response that will better guide you.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
+1 for J Stockard and Feather-Craft. I also like Hook & Hackle and FishUSA specifically for Steelhead materials. Blue Ribbon Flies is also another I've ordered from. All of these have been top notch for me.

Feather-Craft has an outstanding selection of just about everything and great quality materials. J Stockard has a slightly more limited selection but similar quality. When I say slightly, I mean very slightly. They still have tons of great stuff. Love the monthly promotions they have and the Frequent Tier program. CS is top notch. Hook & Hackle has a wide variety of materials and very reasonable prices on in particular on their own brand.

Blue Ribbon flies has excellent quality materials. Love their Elk Hair and Deer hair.

One thing to think about...different shops have materials that I prefer, so I tend to spread things around. Always my preference to see a cape or neck before I buy it, but I can understand that it's not an option for you.

Are there specific materials you're looking for? If so, mention them and maybe you'll get a response that will better guide you.
Lots of great info thanks! I'm looking for materials to tie a Hairy Fodder in white and chartreuse. The recipe calls for:

Hook:Eagle Claw 413
Thread .006 monofilament thread
weight: dumbell eyes
tail: silver holographic flashabou and chartreuse sili legs
body:white crosscut rabbit strips
body flash: Peal UV polar chenille
legs: chartreuse flake sili legs
head: chartreuse and red corsscut rabbit strips

I'm new to fly tying, and have only tied 5 or 6 different patterns, so I am a little overwhelmed when it comes to shopping materials online I guess.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:48 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaticsanonymous View Post
Lots of great info thanks! I'm looking for materials to tie a Hairy Fodder in white and chartreuse. The recipe calls for:

Hook:Eagle Claw 413
Thread .006 monofilament thread
weight: dumbell eyes
tail: silver holographic flashabou and chartreuse sili legs
body:white crosscut rabbit strips
body flash: Peal UV polar chenille
legs: chartreuse flake sili legs
head: chartreuse and red corsscut rabbit strips

I'm new to fly tying, and have only tied 5 or 6 different patterns, so I am a little overwhelmed when it comes to shopping materials online I guess.
Forgot to mention Performance Flies as another good source for Czech nymphing materials. Good selection of imported materials, fast shipping and top notch service.

I haven't tied on Eagle Claw Hooks, though you might find something similar from one of the other manufacturers. I would look at Feather-Craft for what you're attempting. Just search for the Jig Hook in the size you're looking for. You might have to source materials from different suppliers, which is what I often end up doing.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:58 PM

After looking through quickly, it looks like I'll have to do just that. Thanks!
Old 05-08-2012, 08:58 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

The Caddis Fly Shop is great. blue quill angler, J stockard, hook & hackle and dream drift flies are also worth a look.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:29 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

You can however view this thread from a while back which i started
jaybo41 likes this.

Addicted To Vise

Last edited by Hardyreels; 05-09-2012 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Removed reference about blog invites, sorry bout that.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:41 PM

Nice blog you have there Eunan!
Old 05-08-2012, 10:08 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

+ 1 for the shops mentioned. I'd add Casters Fly Shop to the list. They have a good selection of fly tying materials, Dave is a world class fly tier, and they have free shipping, which is always a nice bonus.