The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2012, 09:54 AM

bassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura aboutbassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura aboutbassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Anyone ever have this kind of day?

Glad to hear this still happens to the pros.

I was on the South Platte river by the way. It was mid 60's in temperature. There was no visible hatch but I certainly saw a lot of mayfly activity. I could see a lot of fish just hanging out on the bottom of the river and not moving to snag food. I'd see the occasional rise so I'd cast a spinner up stream of them without so much as a nibble.

I dunno, I guess they just weren't biting. I went with a friend that didn't catch anything either so that at least made me feel like it wasn't just me.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:37 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

It happens man down sweat it, like the others said use the skunk to learn from. I'm probably jinxing myself here but I haven't had a good dunk in a while but I've worked out a good side step cha cha that must be quite the sight for an onlooker! I took a beating the other day but I'll blame it on water conditions When I see alot of signs of life but nothing seems to be working...thats when the midges come out of the box. If everyday I went out and did well then it would be no fun and I guess I'd have to take up golf or croquet or somethingelse that makes no sense!
Old 05-10-2012, 12:34 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

I think the SPlatte is kind of unforgiving due to the pressure. I went there (around deckers) when I was kind of new and did not catch anything bit cold feet. I had really bad rubber boot waders and fell in.
This spring went to the dream stream section. Crowded and technical, bit after a few years I had finally learned a few things.
Get a good map, start finding the smaller tributaries and develop some of your own honey holes. Little creeks and headwaters get over looked a lot in CO, and they are a great place to have your first '25 fish day'.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:31 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassguitarplayer View Post

I was on the South Platte river by the way.
I keep (and "tweak") hatch charts for every river/stream that I fish... it all starts there, and then on-stream observation upon arrival... Only then will I line up the rod and hit the water.

Here's some info on the South Platte;

Hatch Chart for the South Platte River Colorado

Fly Fishing Colorado's South Platte River

FlyShack.com - Your Source for Quality Flies - Hatch Charts

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 05-10-2012, 11:28 PM

bassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura aboutbassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura aboutbassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenacron View Post
I keep (and "tweak") hatch charts for every river/stream that I fish... it all starts there, and then on-stream observation upon arrival... Only then will I line up the rod and hit the water.

Here's some info on the South Platte;

Hatch Chart for the South Platte River Colorado

Fly Fishing Colorado's South Platte River

FlyShack.com - Your Source for Quality Flies - Hatch Charts
These links are GREAT!! I've been looking for something like this for a long time.

Thanks so much!
Old 05-11-2012, 09:46 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

As everyone has said, everyone takes a donut from time to time, and it is what you make of it. The fact that you were actively trying to match whatever hatch you could means that you likely learned from the day! Turning stones works too, but sometimes on those days, your confidence flies (which you'll eventually arrive at after some time spent on the water) end up looking nothing like anything that is hatching or crawling or tumbling down river, and fish still find them perfectly at home in their jaws (until the line goes tight of course). Sure there's plenty of suggestions I could give, some could be useful, some could be awful, and some may have readers questioning the stability of my mind, but what it comes down to is the fact, as stated, that everyone gets skunked, even the grizzled veterans. Sure its frustrating, but all that matters is that you enjoyed the day out! The skunk won't last forever, but I know I certainly have days where I come home smelling strongly of it, despite my best attempts to avoid it... but I always enjoy the time on the water!
bassguitarplayer likes this.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 05-12-2012, 08:59 AM

rapid eddy has a spectacular aura aboutrapid eddy has a spectacular aura about

Now you've went and got hooked on this stuff. The first sign is "asking why". You've had just enough of a taste of this great sport to be a slave to the passion for the rest of your life. It's a disease that you can never cure. All you can do is treat it. Not all days are catching days but all are fishing days. There are other similiar sports out there that you may be able to relate to. Duck hunting. It only takes a few great hunts to tide one over through the not so great hunts. Not all days are killing days but all are hunting days. In my younger days the boys use to ask if i wanted to go with em and chase some women? Well my response when i was busy was no. Call me when you want to go catching. Not all days with women are catching days but all are chasing days. Get my drift? Just keep hammerin on em. You'll win. Try this. When i hit a stream or river i ALWAYS spend some time in just standing there studying the water. Where are the fish holding? Where's the current? Tempurature? Any eddies? Shade? Anything coming off the water? What bugs are under the rocks or logs? You can NEVER know too much. Good luck with your disease.
Edy
bassguitarplayer likes this.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:25 PM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light

Happens to me all the time. On ar ecent trout trek here in AZ, the fish were boiling in just about every pool rising to little blue wing olives, small caddis flies, and even stoneflies. I caught a dozen in one day. The next day they wouldn't rise for swquat. Didn't see one rise until dusk, even though there was a PROLIFIC hatch going on. Moon phases, water temp and quality changes, just about everything makles a differnece from day to day. Some days they are just finicky and spooky. It happens and I am still learning myself.