The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2012, 08:52 PM

bassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura aboutbassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura aboutbassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura about
Default Anyone ever have this kind of day?

Hey guys,

I'm a super noob... not much experience yet.

Last week I posted saying that I thought I finally dialed it all in. I had a great day of fishing using my knowledge of the bugs to find the right fly in the right feeding lie to get the fish.

Today... just nothing. My initial investigation of the river showed mayfly crawlers, mayfly nymphs, and mayfly spinners. I tried all three, plus some stoneflies, some caddis nymphs, and midge larvae. The only action I got all day was a bite on the caddis nymph but the trout took the fly before I could land it.

I managed to snag my ENTIRE leader in a rock and lost all but two feet from the line.

At one point I slipped on a rock and took a nice dunk into the stream head first.

Some jerk let his dog loose in the river and scared away about 4 fish I was working on catching.

So to sum up:
Didn't catch a thing
Got soaked
Lost about 3 flies, my leader, and a Thingamabobber.
Cursed out an idiot with a dog.

Still had fun and can't wait to get back to the river.

Here's my question. Even though the river bugs seemed to point to what those dang trout would be eating, they didn't take them. Does this just sort of happen sometimes or am I missing something?
Old 05-09-2012, 09:02 PM

two_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Anyone ever have this kind of day?

Hey, welcome to fly fishing. you have good days and you have not as good days.
Here is my advice to you:
don't overthink what you are doing. I have been fishing pretty serious for about 4-5 years now and I can honestly say I have never looked under a rock to determine which fly I should tie on. I do not use anything crazy, but just keep it simple. you can usually always find a Hare's ear on my two nymph rig, whether as a big attractor or as a much smaller bottom fly. Just keep it simple and have fun. If you put in your time, you'll catch the fish.
bassguitarplayer likes this.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:47 PM

bassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura aboutbassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura aboutbassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura about

You may be right about over thinking things. I dunno, I'm a such a noob that I'm just going by what the fly fishing videos tell me to do. HAHA
Old 05-09-2012, 10:55 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

You sound like you know your bugs . That's great but there are other forms of life that trout feed on. One big thing is other fish minnows , dace, smaller trout , chubs, sculpins, madtoms and more. Try some streamers. See what baitfish are native to your water and imitate that. And don't forget crayfish and amphibians also part of the diet. And leechs. And for big browns we have mice. There are flys for all these trout foods and I haven't even scratched the surface. Bottom-line be creative and don't get stuck on just bugs . You will be pleasantly surprised . San Juan worm anyone?
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 05-09-2012, 10:58 PM

So one guy is telling me to relax and just cast whatever, and another guy is telling me to try more specific stuff.

HAHA You gotta love it. I think that sums it up right there.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:12 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

As my guiding boss always says "there is a reason they call it fishing and not catching". Hang in there, everyone has those days!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 05-09-2012, 11:13 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Anyone ever have this kind of day?

Hey lyfishing is what you make it. I'm always relaxed that's why I do it. I have a passion for it. Sometimes I throw whatever but at the same time I enjoy the challenge of figuring out what works. And even though I love being out there in nature and just enjoying life most of all I like CATCHING FISH!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 05-10-2012, 07:41 AM

Noiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really nice

Tough day - but the tough days can hold valuable lessons. At least you got some action and there were signs of life.

I fish with guys who have much more experience than I, and it always makes me feel a little better to see them still getting snagged or tangled once in awhile.

Sounds like you tried a great variety. Only thing not mentioned so far is trying out terrestrials. Throw an ant, hopper/dropper or beetle at 'em.

*edit - Also, was it raging hot out? Maybe the fish were napping through the heat.
mcnerney likes this.
"By the time I was a teenager I fit the standard profile of a lifelong angler. I was lazy, shiftless, unambitious and willing to work hard only at things that were widely considered useless." ~John Gierach
Old 05-10-2012, 09:02 AM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Ever have this kind of day?

YES, we have all had more days like that than we care to remember! And it often happens just as you describe; one trip you come home thinking you've got it all figured out, and the next time out it feels like you're being out-smarted by a critter with a brain the size of a pea.

Research and learn the hatches in your area… if you saw fish working, this will narrow things down considerably. Looking under rocks in the stream - while helpful in determining what types of overall bug life is available – won't help you at all when fish are visibly feeding. Some nymphs that you'll find now won't hatch for months (or maybe years in the case of certain stoneflies). Knowing the hatches will give you a good plan to start with and you'll know what to look for when you're out on the water… also you'll have a good idea of what nymphs are available to the trout prior to a hatch.

Every trip is a learning experience… that is part of the sport.
mcnerney likes this.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 05-10-2012, 09:30 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

I Went to the local creek that I have been neglecting... and got the skunk.
I had it dialed in all winter through early april when the warm water thing started to get good. After a few weeks break, it might take me a couple of visits to get back on top of the fish. Spring time is also kind of weird depending on water temp and time of day it seems. One day they are eating anything you throw, other days not so much...

Losing leader/tippet, getting dunked; so far it still happen to me but not as much as it used to. Fly fishing is really the sum of all the parts (wading, stalking, fly selection, presentation, tippet size, weather, season, time of day, on and on). Lots of things to dial in all at once, and any one factor out of place can result in the skunk
I usually fall in when I am trying to 'walk and fish at the same time'.

Sounds like you are having fun though, congrats on getting the bite!
If your learning curve is anything like mine was, you'll eventually have days where you hook 15 fish and land 1 or 2, ahhhhh sweet learning. In my opinion, a high 'hookup ratio' (fish hooked/fish landed) is what you really want to work on. Saturday I landed 15, lost 7 during legitimate fights, and missed several others entirely... still working on my ratio.