The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2007, 08:58 AM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough
Question Steelhead Fishing?

Good Day to All,

When you are out after Steelhead, or maybe even Salmon &
let's say you are throwing a jointed nymph, or streamer do you :

1. Use a floating line & maybe several split shot to get the fly down ?
2. Use the "Chuck & Duck" method ?
3. Use a sink tip line ?

I know it can depend on water depth & velocity, but which is your
preference for this fish ?

If you have some other method other than those please share if
you'd like. New ideas are always good for discussion on this forum.

Tie One On
Old 11-20-2007, 10:08 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Steelhead Fishing?

Hi tie one on,

Like so much of fly fishing there are different ways or methods to catch fish. My favorite method for Steelhead and Salmon is to use a sink-tip fly line with weighted flies. I prefer a sink-tip that is 10 to 15 feet long. There are times on big water that a full sinking line may be the best tool. The problem with a full sinking line on fast water is the line can be washed to the bottom and you loose contact with the fly or you get hung up. For most water that I have fished I could use a floating line with a weighted fly and maybe some split shot. If the water was deep I would go to the sink-tip. Because of the weighted fly or sink-tip line I always used at least an 8wt rod.

This question brings to mind the concept of a good reel with multi spools. It seems like some of the people on the forum buy a good reel but don't spend the money for extra spools. I don't know how anyone can go Steelhead/Salmon fishing with out a floating line, a sink-tip line and a Jim Teeny line. These three lines would cover most of the water conditions you might encounter. Over time the fisher will gravitate to a certain line for certain waters and that line will be used most of the time. If I had to pick one line I think it would be the 10' to 15' sink-tip line. Just to clarify, the Teeny line is really a sink tip line but the tip is longer than the sink-tip line I am talking about.

Here is a book by Jim Teeny that many fly fishers might like to find under their Christmas tree. It is not cheap but what great fly fishing book is.

Frank

This beautiful 9 1/2" by 12 1/2", 213 page book full of beautiful photo's would make the perfect gift & includes the dvd.

Herein lies the legacy of a man who has done, and is still doing, what many dream of and very few experience. You can hold in your hand an exquisitely produced collectors first addition of the life and legacy of Jim Teeny. From humble beginnings on the banks of the Sandy River in Oregon, to waters all over the globe, you will marvel at the glorious providence that has allowed fly fishing master Jim Teeny to tell his tale in this volume. You too can travel the globe fishing the best waters, for the greatest fish, during the prime time of the year, as you sink into your most comfortable chair, and allow your minds eye to take you there. Jim's new hard bound book takes you on the fly fishing journey of a lifetime. The photography, stories & world record catches are sure to captivate the biggest enthusiast. This beautiful, 250 plus page coffee table book with over 400 color photos and stories of Jim’s travels from all over the world is available now.

Click the image to open in full size.