The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2012, 09:14 AM

TexUte Fly will become famous soon enoughTexUte Fly will become famous soon enough
Default got through my sergury

so im sitting here now after a full night of not sleeping due to pain knowing what i did for me is better in the long run but also knowing i can even pick up a fishing rod till late august sucks. i had dislocated my shoulder my first 2 times ever this winter and i got right back out snowboarding the same day. so this 3 months is going to be torture sitting inside. i hope i get recovered nice and fast so im not bored inside. but im typing with one hand so this has tken forever, just know i may not be around to much this summer
Old 05-10-2012, 09:19 AM

Noiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really nice
Default Re: got through my sergury

Godspeed recovery sir!
"By the time I was a teenager I fit the standard profile of a lifelong angler. I was lazy, shiftless, unambitious and willing to work hard only at things that were widely considered useless." ~John Gierach
Old 05-10-2012, 09:27 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear the bad news, being sidelined this time of year is tough to take. Hang in there and the time will pass and you will be ready to go for some fall fishing.

Larry
Old 05-10-2012, 10:13 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

OUCH!!!! Here's my 2 cents worth of advice. I had a traumatic shoulder injury as the result of a bicycle race at the age of 42. I was a lifelong cyclist, and ate quite a bit. While I was unable to lift my arm, I didn't seek medical help (my father is my primary care physician, and I make him crazy ). It was a year before I could lift my arm high enough to turn on the car radio!!! I continued eating the same amount of calories, and packed on a ton of weight. When my shoulder was recovered enough to ride, I was fat enough to fear having a heart attack. It took 3 years to get that weight off, and I've known younger atheletes that had the same problem. Point: DROP THAT FORK! Seriously, be careful and find something else fun to do.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:01 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Don't rush it!! Heal up right so it does not come back to haunt you!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 05-10-2012, 11:50 AM

TexUte Fly will become famous soon enoughTexUte Fly will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
OUCH!!!! Here's my 2 cents worth of advice. I had a traumatic shoulder injury as the result of a bicycle race at the age of 42. I was a lifelong cyclist, and ate quite a bit. While I was unable to lift my arm, I didn't seek medical help (my father is my primary care physician, and I make him crazy ). It was a year before I could lift my arm high enough to turn on the car radio!!! I continued eating the same amount of calories, and packed on a ton of weight. When my shoulder was recovered enough to ride, I was fat enough to fear having a heart attack. It took 3 years to get that weight off, and I've known younger atheletes that had the same problem. Point: DROP THAT FORK! Seriously, be careful and find something else fun to do.
haha im only 23 so while i need to watch what i eat, i dont need to much as you did. i always eat healthy anyway. i go to the reduce to sell section and buy a meat and veggie every day. i had fast food the first time in 5 years on sunday and i dont drink coke
but sitting on the couch all day is something i HATE to do all day, so lets pray i dont to too antsy to ride my bike or fish before i sould.

what did you do to your shoulder? or do you know?
Old 05-10-2012, 12:09 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I threw my arms up at the finish line, and hit a TINY hole in the road. I was airborne long enough to eat a meal, watch the in-flight movie, and join the Mile High Club.... Seriously, I've had some bad crashes, but that was the worst. All of my weight came down on the outside portion of the arm/shoulder joint (whatever that is), and I was simply on pain for a year. That was almost 8 years ago, and it's pretty much healed now. I feel a very mild discomfort if I do something very strenuous, but I can canoe and fly fish all day long without any problems. I lost 50 lbs, and then got back on the bike, so that's all good. My wife rode with me, and ate what I ate; she ate smaller portions, however. After the crash, I couldn't lift her bike onto the car roof rack, so she stopped riding. I expected from the moment it happened that I'd be fine within days, so we didn't change 20 years of eating habits. She gained a good bit of weight as well, and it's been tougher for her to take it off.....

Medical note: If your doctor put you on percocet, be careful. As I mentioned earlier, my father is a physician, and he hates that drug. He prescribes it, but so many people have a hard time getting off of it. He and his two partners have decided not to take any new patients that are already on percocet, as many are past the pain, and simply addicted. There are doctors that specialize in getting people off percocet, using subutex. They're called Subutex doctors, and are licensed by the FDA to prescribe Subutex.

My wife broke her ankle while wading last August, and I called my dad from the ER. They had just given her percocet, and he freaked. He freaks a lot, and asked to talk to the attending. Even after her surgery, I don't think my wife took more than 10 percocets; my father had scared her so much, she decided to use Advil and suffer. She needed a plate and screws on one bone, and a LONG pin in the other bone. That just had to hurt.

GET WELL!!!!
Old 05-10-2012, 12:19 PM

ak allen has a spectacular aura aboutak allen has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to ak allen

Sucks I feel for you man, I had a rebuild done to my casting shoulder last year and it feels great this year. Do the physical therapy as best as you can, and let them know that you fly fish. I did and they added some stuff to help prepare my shoulder for casting again. I never thought I would say this in the Army but I had an awesome surgeon, and rehab physical therapist. The physical therapist was actually a fly fisherwoman herself!
Old 05-10-2012, 12:33 PM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
I threw my arms up at the finish line, and hit a TINY hole in the road. I was airborne long enough to eat a meal, watch the in-flight movie, and join the Mile High Club.... Seriously, I've had some bad crashes, but that was the worst. All of my weight came down on the outside portion of the arm/shoulder joint (whatever that is), and I was simply on pain for a year. That was almost 8 years ago, and it's pretty much healed now. I feel a very mild discomfort if I do something very strenuous, but I can canoe and fly fish all day long without any problems. I lost 50 lbs, and then got back on the bike, so that's all good. My wife rode with me, and ate what I ate; she ate smaller portions, however. After the crash, I couldn't lift her bike onto the car roof rack, so she stopped riding. I expected from the moment it happened that I'd be fine within days, so we didn't change 20 years of eating habits. She gained a good bit of weight as well, and it's been tougher for her to take it off.....

Medical note: If your doctor put you on percocet, be careful. As I mentioned earlier, my father is a physician, and he hates that drug. He prescribes it, but so many people have a hard time getting off of it. He and his two partners have decided not to take any new patients that are already on percocet, as many are past the pain, and simply addicted. There are doctors that specialize in getting people off percocet, using subutex. They're called Subutex doctors, and are licensed by the FDA to prescribe Subutex.

My wife broke her ankle while wading last August, and I called my dad from the ER. They had just given her percocet, and he freaked. He freaks a lot, and asked to talk to the attending. Even after her surgery, I don't think my wife took more than 10 percocets; my father had scared her so much, she decided to use Advil and suffer. She needed a plate and screws on one bone, and a LONG pin in the other bone. That just had to hurt.

GET WELL!!!!

I had my gallbladder removed at the end of February and when I came home the prescribed percocets. I took them but I couldn't really see what was so special about them. What pain I did have was taken away but it I didn't have that "feeling good" feeling that everybody told me I'd have. I think I'd been just as good taking Tylenol or advil. I guess what I'm trying to say is I couldnt see what made them so special that I would get addicted.
Please don't take me wrong. I know its possible. Maybe I just hadn't taken enough. I only took them three times a day for 5-6 days.

Btw, wish you a speedy recovery.

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 05-10-2012, 01:22 PM

ak allen has a spectacular aura aboutak allen has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to ak allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by cattech89 View Post
I had my gallbladder removed at the end of February and when I came home the prescribed percocets. I took them but I couldn't really see what was so special about them. What pain I did have was taken away but it I didn't have that "feeling good" feeling that everybody told me I'd have. I think I'd been just as good taking Tylenol or advil. I guess what I'm trying to say is I couldnt see what made them so special that I would get addicted.
Please don't take me wrong. I know its possible. Maybe I just hadn't taken enough. I only took them three times a day for 5-6 days.

Btw, wish you a speedy recovery.
It doesn't give me that feeling either, just makes me sleepy! I don't know why people want to take them. If I want to "feel good" I just drink more burbon or beer!