The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2007, 01:50 PM

Guthnk is on a distinguished road
Default Help a newbie get a start

I recently have had an epiphany which led me to realize I would like to start fly fishing. The problem is, however, I have no idea where to start with buying rods and reels. So if any of you could lend me some advice on what to look for in buying equipment for a beginner...it would be muchly appreciated.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:20 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Help a newbie get a start

Hi Guthnk,

Welcome to the forum and the world of fly fishing. You can learn a lot by using the search feature on the forum. You can also go to the forums about rods, reels, flies, etc and read the old post about a subject you might be interested in. When all else fails, just ask questions. If you want help buying an outfit let us know how much you want to send, where and what you will be fishing for.

Frank
Old 11-21-2007, 05:02 PM

I'm fishing in Wenatche, Washington...and I'm figuring a budget of a couple hundered dollars. I will most likely be fishing for salmon or trout as that is what i believe is the most common around this area.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:54 PM

wlschindler is on a distinguished road

Welcome to fly fishing and you started in the right place. I was at an advantage when starting because I had a good hunting friend who was an advid fly fisherman. After years of fly fishing I still go to all the shops and pick their brains on a regular basis. From an equipment standpoint they tell me "how many fly rods does a man need? Just 1 more". I am married and therefor have a tight budget and cannot afford multiple $500 fly rods. Not sure how much you want to spend but the first thing you want to do is figure out is want you want to fish for. This will tell you if you need a 5, 6, 7, 8 or 10 weight rod. Next take a class, pay the price (it will be the cheapest and best thing you buy) at least Google for local clubs that may have lessons. I know that my local shop supplies students with fly rigs for the classes and gives you a chance to find out what you like and what its worth. A good rod does make a difference, but as the old saying goes " it ain't the arrow, it's the indian". Learn how and then invest the money.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:32 AM

streamcaddis is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to streamcaddis Send a message via Yahoo to streamcaddis
Thumbs up Re: Help a newbie get a start

Welcome to the forum. Check the search engine first. If you have some tackle stores around town check em out. I don't think it would be hard to get an outfit for around $200.00.
Around here (West Michigan ) I can get a good rod and reel for that price. Remember this is a life time sport, by the time you get as old as I am you will have a house full of fishing tackle . I have so much stuff here the wife can't tell the new from the old stuff. This is a good thing.
You might even want to tie your own flies. I have been tying for over 40 years and I'm still learning. This hobby is fantastic.
Again, welcome to the sport..
Old 12-01-2007, 01:39 PM

slatedrake is on a distinguished road

As one of the other members has already said, determine what your going to be fishing for first. There will be a big difference in the type of equipment you choose even between a Trout rod or a Salmon/Steelhead rod. Once you know what you'll be fishing for and the type of water you'll be fishing it will be easier for you to make an informed decision.

Once you have that information, take a look at the combo beginner kits that Cabela's and Orvis have put together. Orvis has the Clearwater series and Cabela's has the Wind River Series. You get a matched set rod, reel and line for a reasonable price.

I hope that helps. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guthnk View Post
I'm fishing in Wenatche, Washington...and I'm figuring a budget of a couple hundered dollars. I will most likely be fishing for salmon or trout as that is what i believe is the most common around this area.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I'll go a little further and say you should start out with trout and then give salmon/steelhead a try. With a few exceptions, trout will be easier to catch, and catching fish is a much more fun way to get started.

An ECHO Classic 9' 5wt rod paired with a matching ECHO reel would be a great start.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:17 AM

Thank you all for the help.

I saw the cabelas beginner kit they have put together that comes with trout flys. Since you said it would be easier to catch trout I might go that route. I will also check out the ECHO rod and reel.

Once again thank you!
Old 12-04-2007, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Please keep in mind I'm not making a blanket statement that catching trout is EASY. Sometimes it is, often its not.

But its steelhead they call the "fish of a thousand casts", not trout.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.