The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2012, 10:11 AM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold
Default Big Horn

I see that the Big Horn River flow is at 2000 & I'm wondering how that relates to fishing access. A few of us are going out there in the middle of July for a week & I don't really want to be dragging a driftboat over sandbars.
Whats the flow that we can expect in July if the conditions stay the same & there's a a normal spring out there. Also what can we expect bug / fly wise.

Thanks
Neil
Old 05-12-2012, 04:37 PM

f1 fan will become famous soon enoughf1 fan will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Big Horn

We have not had hardly any moisture yet, even snow. We may have hit 60% snowpack. By July it will be down, way down I would think. If you have a Ipad or Iphone, there is a app for the big horns that will tell you all that stuff
Old 05-12-2012, 06:21 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Good info F1,

I love to see questions answered.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-12-2012, 06:34 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

You might also send a PM to bighornflies (Eric) he used to guide on the Bighorn, not sure if he is guiding this year or not, but he can give you the information you are looking for.

Old 05-12-2012, 07:52 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
You might also send a PM to bighornflies (Eric) he used to guide on the Bighorn, not sure if he is guiding this year or not, but he can give you the information you are looking for.
I know Eric. Matter of fact we're staying in his place. Best food in FT. Smith.
I was just fishing for some local info from another local..
Old 05-15-2012, 10:38 AM

bjweller has a spectacular aura aboutbjweller has a spectacular aura about

I live in Colorado but I go up to the Bighorn about 3 or 4 times a year. You can drift it at 2000 no problem. 4000 is about ideal. Two summers ago we fished it, wading and drifting at 8000--still no problem. Last summer we went up in mid July and they had a very late and heavy run off. It was 14000 when we got there. Wading was obviously next to impossible. We drifted a day and still did real well, about 40 fish between two of us and some biggies.

Moose

"There comes a time in every man's life when he is either going to go fishing or do something worse."

-Havilah Babcock
Old 05-15-2012, 01:13 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Check out this report on the Bighorn streamflow from the USGS, it should give you a pretty good idea of what to expect in July.
USGS Surface Water data for USA: USGS Surface-Water Monthly Statistics