The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2007, 03:04 PM

JoshVanderMeer is on a distinguished road
Default Got a box of flies !!!!!!

have recently received a box full of flies from a friend.

I am an amateur fly fisherman and I would like to know which ones of these flies are good for chinook salmon and/or steelhead.

Here are a few pics of the assortment I got. Please tell me which specific ones according to on the picture because I wont know the specific names..

Image Posting Size Limits

Members shall not LINK to, or insert, any images INSIDE their message post that are wider than 550pxls. Oversize images will be deleted without notification.

Members may ATTACH images to posts that are no larger than 620pxls x 280pxls with a total size no larger than 19.5kb. Valid file extensions are bmp doc gif jpe jpeg jpg pdf png psd txt zip

There is a difference between attaching an image and linking to an image inside the body of the post.

I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. If I have deleted any of your images... I'm sorry. However, for the optimal performance and overall look of the forum we must adhere to this policy.

Thank you very much for your understanding and cooperation.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:53 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Got a box of flies !!!!!!

90% of them are wet flys, for trout. The others are a couple streamers and looks like some drys that need work...Some of the wets would work for steelhesd, but not for salmon...Hooks are to light for salmon....
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 11-21-2007, 10:21 PM

Surfin the Susquehanna is on a distinguished road

I'm a novice myself, and none of that stuff looks like anything I have in my fly box. I am in Pennsylvania, so I am sure you may have some different entemology there in Washington. If I had to guess, that's someones attempt at tying some of their own unique patterns to see if it draws any strikes. My suggestion is to look for a local fly shop, or a website for a shop in your area and look to see if they have a hatch chart on their site. If you do, you'll find what types of insects are prominant at certain times in your region. If you do find a hatch chart, look online for those fly patterns and see if they resemble anything you've got there. If they don't, you're rolling the dice using them. I have read on many sites that if your throwing something out there that if the fish have no idea what it is, you may as well be tossing a piece of yarn tied around a hook. If you get a strike, that's one hungry fish you caught...LoL

Like I said... I am a novice and am only sharing what I have read or heard.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:58 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Josh,

Go to this site and study the flies for Salmon or Steelhead. Surfin's advise is right on. You need to fish the flies that are used on your waters at different times of the year. Your local fly shop or fly fishing club is a great source of information.

Frank
Old 11-22-2007, 09:05 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute

Hi to all,

Since we are talking Salmon flies take a look at the Classic Salmon flies at this site. You have to enter the site and then click the gallery link on the left side of the page. DON'T ENTER the English side of the site. Enter the other site. These are some really beautiful Classic Salmon flies. Makes me want to learn how to Spey cast.

Frank
Old 11-22-2007, 05:58 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

come on guys you cant name them...first pic 1st row.
renagade,royal coachmen,blue dun, and a red ibis..all wets
most of these flys sold in dept stores for years, actually wal-mart still carrys them...they work though, most are based on old patterns from the 40's and 50's...
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 11-23-2007, 06:54 AM

y does it keep on deleting them??? i resized them to 640p x 480p

HELP???
Old 11-23-2007, 08:21 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshVanderMeer View Post
y does it keep on deleting them??? i resized them to 640p x 480p

HELP???
Hi Josh,

If you read the notice that replaced your photos you will see the size limitation is 620plxs by 280-plxs. So you are still over the limit. Please give it another try.

Frank
Old 11-23-2007, 01:59 PM

"Members shall not LINK to, or insert, any images INSIDE their message post that are wider than 550pxls. Oversize images will be deleted without notification"

it says here i can INSERT images over 550pxs.... i didnt attatch mine i put them in by photobucket
Old 11-23-2007, 05:50 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshVanderMeer View Post
"Members shall not LINK to, or insert, any images INSIDE their message post that are wider than 550pxls. Oversize images will be deleted without notification"

it says here i can INSERT images over 550pxs.... i didnt attatch mine i put them in by photobucket
Hi Josh,

I would like to help you but you are reading it differently than I am. There is a width limit of 550pxls if you insert or link to an image.

Frank