The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2012, 07:58 AM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice
Default fishin in the rain

Got up to a gently falling rain this morning (it had been raining for a couple hours) and brewed up a pot of fresh coffee. Got online and checked the news & weather forecast to find the rain will probably be falling here all day long.

As the sun rose I decided it wasn't raining all that hard, and I might as well go toss a fly in the local lake to see if the fish were in a feeding mood.

Drove to the lake, and it seemed like the rain was increasing from "gentle" to at least "light".

Oh well, no sense wasting the gasoline to drive there.

Dug my Grey's 5wt and my rain suit out from behind the truck seat and suited up to "test the waters".

I soon found the 'gills were indeed in a feeding mood!
Click the image to open in full size.

After catching and releasing several 7-8" 'gills (big for that lake) I noticed the rain was falling even harder. My cigar was soaked and my feet were feeling soggy (guess the new "water resistant" moccasins are just "resistant" and not "proof").

I decided some more coffee and a fresh cigar might be good and headed for home.

Still made for a good morning!
Old 05-13-2012, 08:35 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: fishin in the rain

Good way to start the day! I guess your rain is on its way here, hard to tell though with only a few clouds passing by.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:12 PM

angelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the rough

Nice Gill, Nice to see someone catching some gill's in the rain . Here we have rain til thursday What was your fly choice?
Old 05-13-2012, 06:24 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

Rain isn't always bad. Gatortransplant & I got into some hungary rainbows a couple of weeks ago during a rainstorm....

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 05-13-2012, 08:52 PM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelo1987 View Post
Nice Gill, Nice to see someone catching some gill's in the rain . Here we have rain til thursday What was your fly choice?
A "green weenie". Tried the green weenie for the first time this spring, and it is quickly becoming my go-to choice for finding fish.

Went back this evening and the rain had the lake up and pouring over the spillway.

Click the image to open in full size.

I was looking at the water and a huge flathead catfish swam across the current.
Went home and mentioned it to the wife and she told me to get back out there and catch some catfish, so I grabbed a baitcaster and my rain suit and headed back to avoid angering her.

Caught a few small (1-2#) channel cats (and released them), but the big flathead avoided my bait. I did see it a couple times, though.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:04 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Don't mind the rain. Long as my cigar stays dry. Soggy cigar would send me home also. Haha!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser