The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2012, 08:35 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Ticks!

I' have Lyme disease & it's no fun. I never seem to be able to get rid of it. Whenever I take the western blot test I show up positive for 2 antibodies.
That said, I trail with my dog & we go thru some heavy brush sometimes & I tuck the pants into the socks , use Ben's repellant 100% Deet & I still get them on me.
Hey Boz, I was told the worst thing you can do is coat the tick or try to burn them to let go. That makes them transfer saliva into the site. It's best to grab the tick by the head & pull it straight out. I have one of these on my keychain : tick removers - Bing Images & it works great. In the last 2 years that I've carried it I have removed quite a few ticks from myself & others , My dogs & other dogs
Old 05-14-2012, 10:42 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
I use permethrin tick repellants. I don't use DEET at all because it can shorten the life of fly lines. I spray Permethrin on my vest and upper waders. The tick crawl up and fall off.

Permethrin should not be used on the skin.

DEET vs. Permethrin as a Tick Repellent

For mosquitos I use Cutter's Advanced, a non DEET repellant that uses Picaridin. Try to get the sportsman formula. It is safe for fly lines and plastics and can be used on the skin. It is non oily and has no odor.

Icaridin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

CDC: West Nile Virus - Updated Insect Repellent
Where can I buy the Permethrin? I know thats the active ingredient in stuff like "Frontline" for dogs, I was told by my vet that it is not friendly to the human liver. Of course DEET isn't exactly a vitamin either! I have a good buddy that was an Army Ranger. He swears by Avon Skin So Soft.

Here in southwestern/central PA, we are having a real deer tick problem. My vet told me he has never treated so many cases of animal Lyme 's deisease as he did last summer/fall. The warm spring has only made it worse.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:51 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfzx View Post
Where can I buy the Permethrin?
Look for Repel Permanone. It will last for a couple of washing but put it on my vest and hat which I rarely wash. If it is unavailable in a local sporting goods store, it is online.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click to View Search Results for repel permanone - Google Search repel permanone - Google Search

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 05-14-2012, 11:10 AM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Here's an article on it tick removers - Bing Images

scroll down to permethrin repellants.

Wow I just read my own post link again & it said 100% deet is not any better than 30%. It's best to just apply it more often. .

Neil

Last edited by FISHN50; 05-14-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:23 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

When I was working on my Master's thesis on deer repellents at LBL in western TN & KY, I was also a "tester" (read: guinea pig) for Permanone. LBL had the most incredible tick density I've ever seen, from here to CA and back. Deer had them covering their skull and backs of their ears, just brutal.

Anyway, the stuff really works! I've had it last through 3 and 4 washings. Follow label directions!

And be sure to put Frontline or Advantix, whichever your vet recommends, on your pooches every month like clockwork!

Gary
Old 05-14-2012, 11:26 AM

maccadon3000 will become famous soon enoughmaccadon3000 will become famous soon enough

I went a little "tick crazy" last year when I found two on me. They were the first ones I had found on my body since I was a little kid. Then this year I've found a few already. That being said, I've done alot of research on different repellents. First off, yes, deet probably works the best, but it also melts fly lines and almost any other synthetic material, so not really fly fisherman friendly. The approach I took, after all of my research was, first, to where clothing that I could spot them easily on. Next I sprayed my pack, sandals, fishing hat and Buff with Permathrin(sp?). I sprayed those things because they basically won't need to be washed very often, which is what lessens the potency of Permathrin. The last step I took was to spray my exposed body parts with a Picaridin based repellent. I think the stuff is called Natrapel. It's the best deet alternative on the market and considered safer than pretty much all other repellents for your body and gear. It worked great. I must have done HOURS of research on the internet and consumer reports and scientific experiments with ticks, not mosquitos, but ticks. On and on. I didn't have another tick all season and I was in a "ticky" area. Hope that helps a little.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:15 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I was tying flies this winter and cut off some deer hair from a tanned piece of hide. Something fell from the fur and this is what I found, a dead tick.

Click the image to open in full size.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy