The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2012, 12:15 PM

oaktree is on a distinguished road
Default Ticks!

It that time where we are out to our hot spots for fly fishing. As part of our extrusion, we should be ready for unexpected critters. One of the most hated are ticks. This year, ticks are to be really bad, especially parts of the countries that had a mild winter.

What are you doing to protect yourself from them? What works best to keep them off?
Old 05-13-2012, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Ticks!

I lived in Newnan Georgia for a while and in the woods and stream environment there were also chiggers. The best protection was long pants - tuck them into boots - a cap if you were ducking through the trees & shrubs - and repellent sprayed on the pants especially at the lower legs. For ticks there was never a sure shot that I found. Checking ones self for hitchhikers after an outing was always a must. If you wet wade don't forget about leech's Sounds like a good time huh.......

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-13-2012, 01:28 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Back in PA I had the reputation as a real "Tick Magnet" believe it or not!

All kidding aside, whether it was back-packing, camping, fishing, whatever... I seemed to pick up more ticks than the rest of the party put together. I never took any extra precautions and was fortunate enough to escape the northeast without contracting Lyme. The ratio of Deer Ticks to Wood Ticks steadily increased over the last decade-and-a-half that I lived there and it became a year round thing (I was picking up the occasional tick in Jan/Feb).

Some of my pal's sprayed their socks liberally with high-DEET bug dope and claimed that it helped, but word of caution; be very careful with any type of repellent around your waders and or fly line... it will ruin it.

Same goes for sprays that you might use for other biting insects, it's best to spray it on your hands and wipe it where you need it, then wash your hands before handling your line or touching your waders.

On a side note, still waiting to see my first tick since moving to Utah.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 05-13-2012, 01:54 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Waders cinched up , taped sleeves and pants legs , bug spray , ball cap and on and on. Don't matter if they want to get in they do. The best thing is a full body check when you get home. Helps to have somebody to check the spots you can't see. Favorite spoton my kids was under there arm pits. The good thing is so far most lyme disease cases don't come from my part of Pa. The bad thing is we seem to have alot more of the bigger ticks than the deer ticks and they're a little harder to remove.
I've found the best way to back them out if they're deep and coating them with Vaseline doesn't work is a hot rope tip or cigar. Gives me an exuse to buy a good stoogie!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 05-13-2012, 01:56 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

It's a good reminder to have these types of threads. Just yesterday I went out solo for a longggggg hike on a superb trout stream. I was wearing waders, long sleeved shirt tucked into waders, buff, and a hat, and I still found 3 ticks! I've almost decided that there is no way to keep them off. I've become a HUGE fan of the Buff. Has kept those nasty gnats and biting flies off my face and neck.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:01 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Tree,

I was assuming that since you're in Kansas you are not wearing waders all the time. If you are you have 2/3's of yourself protected already. Stay in the open, don't be crawling through the bush and you should be fine. If you aren't wearing chest waders refer to first reply.

Ted,

Where were the ticks at on you?

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-13-2012, 05:30 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I use permethrin tick repellants. I don't use DEET at all because it can shorten the life of fly lines. I spray Permethrin on my vest and upper waders. The tick crawl up and fall off.

Permethrin should not be used on the skin.

DEET vs. Permethrin as a Tick Repellent

For mosquitos I use Cutter's Advanced, a non DEET repellant that uses Picaridin. Try to get the sportsman formula. It is safe for fly lines and plastics and can be used on the skin. It is non oily and has no odor.

CDC: West Nile Virus - Updated Insect Repellent

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 05-13-2012, 05:42 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking of Ticks, hate the little SOB's, don't forget our furry four legged friends. You should be giving them an application once per month/year round.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:44 PM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice

It's a wood tick. I pick them off when I get home, and yes, I do pick up a lot of them in the heavy woods up here. I've never worried about it.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:02 PM

ak allen has a spectacular aura aboutak allen has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to ak allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
I use permethrin tick repellants. I don't use DEET at all because it can shorten the life of fly lines. I spray Permethrin on my vest and upper waders. The tick crawl up and fall off.

Permethrin should not be used on the skin.
I would second Permethrin, I treat all my clothes every few months. I also rub the rind fro a grapefruit on exposed skin. Sounds crazy but works well!

Article about nootkatone found in grapefruits.

I don't know how much of the stuff I actually get out of it, but I find it works pretty good. I take a grapefruit rind and beat it up pretty good with a tenderizing hammer, the rub it on exposed skin.