The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

View Poll Results: What do you have to drink while tying
Coffee 5 13.51%
non-alcoholic 6 16.22%
Bourbon 4 10.81%
A good Single malt 6 16.22%
Beer 12 32.43%
other 8 21.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2012, 09:02 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold
Default Next to your right hand.

When you sit down for a tying session what is your preferred beverage to have right there next to you? I stay away from coffee & will usually have a sipping glass of Glenlivit nearby.......It helps steady my hands. I will say that after a few hours of tying & sipping I come up with some interesting new patterns.-
Old 05-13-2012, 09:04 PM

ak allen has a spectacular aura aboutak allen has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to ak allen
Default Re: Next to your right hand.

Oh that's an easy one, an number of excellent micro-brew IPA, or DIPA's! If I had to choose just one it would be UnEarthly by Southern tier brewing Co

Although I love me some bourbon too!

Last edited by ak allen; 05-13-2012 at 09:54 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:28 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

Most any brew will do, except for Coors Light (like making love in a canoe - f'n near water), but if I was forced to pick, it would be UPU, from the Lake Placid (NY)Brew Pub!!!

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 05-13-2012, 10:52 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I generally don't drink while tying flies although if I do have a beer I drink Mirror pond IPA or Inversion made by the Deschutes Brewery. I only ever make 1 or 2 flies at a time because I have a bunch already. The exceptions are when I tie for a charity auction or a swap. I need to make a few AK. Assassins and Skykomish soon and I'll be sure to drink a Mirror Pond while I make them

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-14-2012, 01:07 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

I would have to go with a nice calming three fingers of Glenfiddich 15yr!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 05-14-2012, 02:16 AM

fat caddis has a spectacular aura aboutfat caddis has a spectacular aura about

Nice!

I wish that I could say that I poured myself a Laphroaig ever time that I tied a fly but I could simply not afford it! I enjoy most Islay whiskeys- guess it's the heavy peaty taste that just lingers longer!

But practically it all depends on why I am tying and what time of the day it is.

If I am just churning out flies at the last minute then its usually coffee and nothing spectacular. A normal evening's tying session would be accompanied by one of our local (and cheaper) whiskeys, more than likely Bells which is a scottish blend.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:27 AM

innes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to behold

JW Scotch, Green Label. The flies tend get more disproportionate as the night goes on.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:35 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat caddis View Post
more than likely Bells which is a scottish blend.
I've enjoyed that a few times in the past. A business associate of my Dads used to send him the Bell shape holiday bottle every year, Probably due to our last name being Bell!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 05-14-2012, 08:19 AM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Normally I just wear a hydration pack so I never have to stop tying.

But lately much of tying has been in the mornings before work, so it's a 24-oz cup "cup of Joe" sitting on my desk.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 05-14-2012, 10:48 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by innes View Post
JW Scotch, Green Label. The flies tend get more disproportionate as the night goes on.
Green Label? The JW Black is my staple, and love the JW Blue (but its a bit pricey for everyday). How does the Green compare?

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.