The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2012, 11:44 PM

Noiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really nice
Default Re: What if there's no hatch?

Did you try a hopper since you saw them? A stimulator works as a hopper. I like to serve up stimulators in that situation anyway. Big, gaudy and visible to both you and the fish.
"By the time I was a teenager I fit the standard profile of a lifelong angler. I was lazy, shiftless, unambitious and willing to work hard only at things that were widely considered useless." ~John Gierach
Old 05-15-2012, 12:38 AM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post
Dont feel bad, I went up to RMNP Saturday fished 6 hours saw nothing when seining except a few and I mean a few midges. I ran every fly I had , varying weights etc etc, move holes every few minutes if unsuccessful. Finally at last I thought heck with it and tied on a dry.....bam but of course I missed him.

Still had a beautiful day in the rain , almost had RMNP all to myself due to weather , talk about quiet and peaceful....almost eerily quiet

Besides the hot blonde runner girl in Yoga pantsand a jog bra who insisted on chatting me up in the parkinglot
Hope you hit the hookset on that last one comeonavs! milt.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:55 AM

bassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura aboutbassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura aboutbassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by milt spawn View Post
Hope you hit the hookset on that last one comeonavs! milt.
To answer a few questions:

I live closest to Deckers or Clear Creek (I live in Littleton) but wanted to try some place new. Especially since the Deckers area of the South Platte has such a reputation of being hard to fish due to the pressure.

I didn't have any terrestrial patterns with me. Which figures since I just took some hopper patterns out of my box the other day. I tried a Royal Coachman because it was nice and bright. And I was kicking myself for not replacing my stash of beaded princes.

I guess the lesson here is always have a nice streamer in your box and stick to the river you know.

But, I haven't been fishing long so this is how you learn I guess.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:38 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Ip here on the Snake when there is little or no hatch going on I'll use some attractor patterns combined with what should be hatching to get clients some action. Royal Wolfs, PMX's, Stimi's, Hoppers and Chernobyls with a smaller May fly trailer 6-8" tied off the bend of the first fly. Parachute Adams or Hares ears are good attractors too!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 05-15-2012, 10:00 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

It may just be the spring weather, small runoff, and a few cold days over the weekend. I also had a slow weekend.

Boulder creek is usually dead easy ( I learned there). I can usually count on at least catching a few small browns.
But, I did get the skunk the other day on BC right after the weather cleared.
With faster water, you might have the right flies but not the right depth, Fish could be holding tight to the bottom and right next to rocks in eddies. Split shot can help, just make sure your flies are tagging bottom occasionally.
Or, use a longer line between the dry and dropper.
Sometimes if you start walking the river you will find a pod of fish all holding in the same spot. If you saw no fish, good chance they are all hanging together in a deep slow spot. I have found pods of ~100 fish on BC when the flow conditions start to change and they have not all spread out yet. A few weeks ago I found a pod and landed ~12 in about 2 hours. Went back to the same spot later that week twice and got nothing... just gotta walk and find them. Streamers are great for locating fish because even if you don't get the take you will see them chase and swipe at it. Find them, then nymph them. Change depth before you change your fly.
Fast flows, I start using all the flashy stuff that has been hiding in my box all winter. Also, even if you don't see any, a big #8 stonefly nymph can be a good attractor ahead of a smaller fly like your caddis pupes.

I fish almost daily for maybe a couple of hours, send me a PM if you are around Boulder or heading to the T, There are a couple of other sweet spots that are between. Also, the warm water bite has been great for perch, bass, walleye, gills, carp, etc. A lot of people don't even bother fishing runoff (although I think it is a fun challenge, and usually without crowds).

Back to my point: Spring is erratic, I've had stellar days and skunk days. It is always easier to catch fish when you are enjoying yourself though... it is as if the fish know when you are taking it too seriously!
Old 05-15-2012, 10:38 AM

vitesse304 has a spectacular aura aboutvitesse304 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassguitarplayer View Post
To answer a few questions:

I live closest to Deckers or Clear Creek (I live in Littleton) but wanted to try some place new. Especially since the Deckers area of the South Platte has such a reputation of being hard to fish due to the pressure.

I didn't have any terrestrial patterns with me. Which figures since I just took some hopper patterns out of my box the other day. I tried a Royal Coachman because it was nice and bright. And I was kicking myself for not replacing my stash of beaded princes.

I guess the lesson here is always have a nice streamer in your box and stick to the river you know.

But, I haven't been fishing long so this is how you learn I guess.
Screw Deckers... There's much better fishing at less crowded places.

Clear Creek is good, but subject to run-off. Guanella pass is good for some brookies and a fun day with a 0-3 wt.

I'm headed to fish the Blue next Tuesday or Wednesday. You are welcome to come and I'll put you on some fish. We can stop at the shop in Silverthorne, load up with some flies and catch some of these:

Click the image to open in full size.

There isn't much of a run off at tailwaters, especially this year with the low snow pack so I would head there instead of trying to hit up a "front range" river.

The Blue is the closest to Denver with good fish. If you have the time, a trip up to the frying pan and roaring fork would be worth it. The stoneflies are coming off and the salmonflies are starting up on the Colorado.
Davo likes this.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:16 PM

bassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura aboutbassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura aboutbassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse304 View Post
Screw Deckers... There's much better fishing at less crowded places.

Clear Creek is good, but subject to run-off. Guanella pass is good for some brookies and a fun day with a 0-3 wt.

I'm headed to fish the Blue next Tuesday or Wednesday. You are welcome to come and I'll put you on some fish. We can stop at the shop in Silverthorne, load up with some flies and catch some of these:

There isn't much of a run off at tailwaters, especially this year with the low snow pack so I would head there instead of trying to hit up a "front range" river.

The Blue is the closest to Denver with good fish. If you have the time, a trip up to the frying pan and roaring fork would be worth it. The stoneflies are coming off and the salmonflies are starting up on the Colorado.
That would be great! I'll PM you right now. I need a guide for sure.